Natural hair’s best friend is moisture. As such, I deep condition my daughter’s hair every week. You may already know that I am not terribly comfortable with the ingredients in most store bought products like shampoos and conditioners so I make my own conditioner myself, using a lot of ingredients that can be found in the kitchen.

Some of the benefits of deep conditioning are that it makes hair softer, shinier, more manageable and super moisturized. Depending on what ingredients you use, you may also address specific problems like hair loss, dandruff or an itchy scalp.

Here’s one such deep conditioner that I made. I went over the top (I admit it, lol) with the ingredients but they all had some property that I wanted to draw into my deep conditioner. I made this when I first started making my own “conditioners”. These days, I use less ingredients and keep everything simple. I wanted to use this as an example for this post so that you can see the variety of ingredients that can make up a home made deep conditioner.

I will try and talk about the ingredients one by one.

From L-R: Coconut oil, Vegetable glycerin, Eggs, EVOO, Honey, A clean glass bowl

I seperated the yolk from the white. If you include the white, you will be picking egg out of your hair all week.

Eggs acts as a protein treatment for hair. Your hair is made of protein so it follows that eggs strengthen the hair follicle. Eggs contain sulphur which promotes healthy hair. Eggs smoothen the hair, making it less prone to tangling and therefore easier to comb.

Seperate the yolks from the white. You want to use the yolks only if not you will be picking out egg from your hair all week.

I told you I went over the top with this deep conditioner mix…I spied these bananas in the kitchen and threw them in.

I added some banana at the last minute. Just because I already had it.

Bananas are rich in potassium and vitamins (among other things).  They help to protect hair elasticity  which keeps breakage and split ends at bay. They also strengthen hair at the roots. Bananas impart shine and softness to hair. They even help to control dandruff.

I mashed the bananas and put them into the glass bowl with the eggs. I also added half the tin of coconut milk. I usually do not use things from a tin but I quite like this TRS coconut milk. I bought this from the indian store in Iponri. The ones in Ilupeju do not appear to stock it.

After whisking, it still looked lumpy so I put it all in my Vitamix and blended

Then I remembered that I had not added any Aloe Vera. We have several  Aloe Vera plants at home, so I went “harvest” some.

Aloe Vera gel is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti- viral. It is also anti-puritic which is great for relieving an itchy scalp. It balances the pH level of the hair and defines curl pattern in natural hair. It prevents excessive hair loss, acts as a moisturizer and leaves hair soft and shiny. With such powerful properties, it is definitely a player you want on your side.

Cut all the green bits off the Aloe Vera so that you are left with this “solid” piece. I threw this into the blender too.

I then added in a teaspoon each of the oils, half a teaspoon of glycerine and a heaping tablespoon of honey and stirred the mix for the final time.

My daughter presented herself for her conditioning treatment:

Coated her entire hair (and scalp) with our DC mix

Sealed it in with a cap.

We love pink!

And then it was off to bed. The following morning, we rinsed off the DC and the result was soft, curly, manageable hair.

I have not done justice to the benefits any of the ingredients used here. Please Google them individually to get a better picture of their benefits. You can come up with your own DC mix depending on what is locally available. After some time, you will come to realize what ingredients your hair responds to and you can then stick to those ones.

Adaeze

another perfect and enlightening post…..will be trying this as soon as I have some time (which may take a while lol)
The vegetable glycerine – what’s it called exactly? just that? I always see it on the list of ingredients on my natural products..

Vegetable Glycerine is a humectant. That is, it draws moisture from the atmosphere and retains it, keeping you moisturized for a long time (which is a really good thing, no?). It may be found in toners, cleansers, moisturizers, conditioners and more.

I specifically mention Vegetable glycerine as this is the one you want to use instead of the one sourced from animals or petroluem (which is comedogonic). Organic is even better. Use only in small quantities (3-5% of your concotions) though as I understand that too much may have a drying effect.

princess inameti

yes too much n too often use of glycerin dries out the hair so try to use a bit.

Lily Johnson

I am trying to use some natural stuff now so i will definitely try this. Can you give me some natural mix to combat pimples and spots? I have an oily skin. Thanks.

Hi Lily, I do not have acne prone skin and as such do not have any personal experience with this challenge. No fear, I went and did a little research. I consulted my oracle reference books and a particularly interesting suggestion came up. You can use Milk of Magnesia (sold in pharmacies) as a mask. In fact, you can apply it and leave it on overnight. I would advice that you start slow. Try this once or twice a week and see how your skin reacts. It is supposed to help control your acne and also to diminish blemishes.

There is another method, which is the Oil Cleanse method. It is actually very popular. It involves using oil to fight oil. Your cleanser will be a 60:40 mix of Castor oil and olive oil respectively (Olive oil may be too heavy so you may want to use a lighter oil like grapeseed oil – Not sure if GS oil is available in Nigeria though). You may also add a drop of tea tree essential oil to the mix for its antibacterial and antiseptic properties. How it works is that you gently massage the oil mix into your face and then wipe off using a very clean, warm face towel. You can soak the face towel in hot water for some time to warm it up and place it on your face for a couple of minutes to open up your pores to enhance the penetration of your cleanser before you wipe off. Ensure that you remove every trace of oil and then use a
1:6 mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and water as a toner. A little bit of Grapeseed oil can be used to moisturize.

I hope this helps.

Northern Girl

Hmm! Nice! But I was wondering how long the conditioner can stay for– if I make it today, will it be any good in three to four days? Those ingredients sound yummy :)

Great question. This decomposes rather quickly – thanks to the egg yolks and banana in it. You should make enough to use for only one application. If you need to store it before use, keep it in the refridgerator and make sure you use within a few hours.

Gidi boy

Your site is a God send.
I am a guy and i love keeping afro hair but i have had to always chop my hair off cos i have been having maintenance issues, i consulted the internet last month and i have seen loads of information about natural treatments but since the informations i get are from ppl from other continents i have been left feeling helpless with knowledge i cant use, but Thank God i stumbled upon your site now maybe you can gimme locations where i can find most of these ingredients.
Where can vegetable glycerin be found in 9ja?
Thanks for the informations i have found here and i am grateful for other info’s i will get from you.

Hello Gidi boy. It is good to see a guy that cares so much about his hair.

I have never seen Vegetable glycerin for sale in Nigeria but Screwyhair pointed out that you could use Rosewater and Glycerin that is available in most cosmetic shops. Rosewater is also good for afro hair so you are getting a 2-in-1. The only thing is that I am not certain if the glycerin is vegetable or animal based. I prefer vegetable based.

Esthermaria

You could also try shops that specialize in selling of cake and baking products for a food grade variety of glycerine rather than the those found in cosmetic shops. The only thing am not sure of is whether or not its vegetable or animal based, but its quite cheap…between =N=100 and =N=200 depending on the size of the bottle.

ScrewyHair

Great recipe! I have a similar recipe already: honey + whole egg + glycerin + coconut oil + olive oil. I’ve been thinking about adding bananas to it, though, because we grow cooking bananas (a banana-plantain hybrid) in our yard, but they aren’t ripe yet…or my staff are eating them all before they make it to the kitchen… Anyhoodle, I need to thicken my mix because my above DC is very drippy, so I’ll be marching into that yard this weekend to gets some! Thank you for reminding me :-)

I use the whole egg and it hasn’t caused issues yet, probably because I don’t leave it in overnight, which means my big head doesn’t have enough time to cook the eggs. I leave in the mix for 1-2 hours and it works. Soft and manageable hair. Used to leave store-bought conditioner in overnight (or for 2 days sometimes), but I’m leery of leaving food in my hair for too long in this our tropical paradise–don’t wanna wake up to *clears throat* my phobias having my hair for breakfast :-)

In this particular recipe, I would say just the Vegetable Glycerin.

I buy local honey from any store. This one I got from Park and Shop.

Coconut milk, I like the TRS brand I used here. It has no nasty ingredients. It is just largely coconut milk. I got that from the indian store in Iponri. You should be able to find it at any indian store.

I did not use any here, but if you are interested in essential oils, I understand that you might find some in healthplus.

Hope this helps

Chuks

i saw Glycerin at ikeja but it didnt say “vegetable” it said “original”, i want to try and make the coconut milk and oil myself its a lot of work but it seems fun.Thanks for the reply.

Chuks

when you make something for yourself successfully u have a sort of “joie de vire” feeling, i just started reading your blog and i saw u write somewhere that you make your own black soap, please i would love a future post on the procedure.

Emme

Nice!! It’s great to find a fellow mixologist – I love making DCs at home too. I often do a version of the one you described here, but with avocado instead of banana, and I leave out the vegetable glycerine and go a little bit crazy with the oils ;-). (For people who can’t find the vegetable glycerine, I think they can do without it and maybe up the honey quotient a bit, since honey has humectant properties as well.) Like another commenter mentioned, I use the whole egg but I don’t leave it in my hair overnight.
The mixture I use (avocado + egg + honey + oils + aloe vera) leaves my hair amazingly nourished and soft, and even enhances my curl pattern… everytime I do it, the lady that cornrows my hair comments on how soft and curly my hair is – she says ‘it looks like human hair extensions’, which makes me laugh. I will have to try it with banana sometime – it sounds like it would give great results.
Like you, I use homegrown aloe vera plants – I love using ‘products’ from my garden instead of expensive store-bought stuff… and I find that it always works better. I use homegrown aloe vera to make my leave-in conditioner too.
About the Indian store – is it in Iponri Shopping Centre? I’m also interested in knowing where the ones in Ilupeju are if you wouldn’t mind giving a description – I would love to check them out. Thanks very much.

Thanks for the detailed comment. I am so glad that there are others out there. You are right about Honey being a humectant.

Yes, there is an Indian shop in Iponri but it is a really small one. You should try the ones at Ilupeju.

I don’t mind giving you a description. I will email it to you.

dreadie

Hi…I absolutely love what you are doing…came across your blog last month from o’naturals and I’ve not had enugh of it….what a pity though,became natural in 2008 but cos I didn’t know how to manage it I decided to do dreads,wish I knew about all these before.The saddest of all is I just texturised my daughter’s hair in August,she’s 6 years old although I planed to wait till she was like 10 but she was always crying(she’s been natural all her life).don’t plan to re do her under growth so plssss what can I do?wish I knew about these(sobs)..I’ve been doing her hair since birth cos pple just dontknow how to manage her hair,she was always crying.And pls how do I manage my dreads too,been taking care of it all by myself but don’t mind some tipsm

Hi Dreadie…thank you for your kind words. I am sorry that you felt that you had no choice but to texturize your daughter’s hair. At least now you know that you are not alone on the journey so if you ever have any questions feel free to throw it open to other readers and I.

You said your daughter was always crying. Not sure if she is just one of those kids that don’t like their hair touched or if it was because handling it was actually painful. Has the crying stopped now that her hair has been texturized?

dreadie

Hi….thanks so much for replying :)…..funny enough she still cries,I don’t look forward to loosening,washing and making hair days!

I think we can safely rule out the Afro hair as the reason for the crying. For me, it is now down to 2 options: She doesn’t like her hair being handled or (sorry about this one) you are not handling it right. How do you comb her hair? Do you comb it when it is dry? What sort of comb do you use? What do you use to detangle? How do you detangle? Plenty questions…

princess inameti

you know as a child i was the only one that had to go to the salon to make my hair bcs i always cried and they taught it was bcs of my hard natural hair but even as an adult it was also so painful having to get my hair done, in uni i was always the girl with unkempt hair bcs i hated having it done, so mayb ur daughter is like me. when i told my mama i was going natural she actually cried and begged me to remember how tough my hair is. lol. so mayb me n ur daughter has similar properties.

dreadie

And I think she’s one of those kids that just don’t like their hair being touched cos u should see the way I handle her hair.

dreadie

I normally use a wide-mouthed comb but when she starts crying I use the small wooden comb which doesn’t do much combing but I still use it anyway.I just found out it wasn’t her afro hair that makes her cry after I texturized it:(

dreadie

I don’t really use anything….her hair was really fine when she was younger but got coarser as she grow older but still not as coarse as her friends….I just wash with johnson’s baby detangling shampoo with conditioner and air dry(her hair dries up pretty fast though long) and use her hair cream -allways indian hemp creme….I wash her hair twice monthly

You seem to be walking on eggshells around her hair. Kpele, I know it is not easy. My suggestion is that you find a detangling leave-in conditioner for her and use that you provide some “slip” when you want to comb her hair. Don’t comb her hair when it is dry. You could also finger comb her hair. That said, if she doesn’t at all like her hair touched, you may have to bribe her by distracting her with something extra special while she is getting her hair done. A special DVD? A book? A snack/meal that she particularly likes?

Also, how do you wash her hair? In sections or just the whole thing at once. You can check out this post here to see how I handle my daughter’s hair.

Lastly, I would try and get her buy-in. With my daughter, I have provided a spray bottle with her hair moisturizing mix. She has been encouraged to use this herself to moisturize her hair at night. The fact that it is HERS and that she can use it makes her eager to carry out this activity which is for her benefit.

I hope this helps!

dreadie

I think I’ll do her special DVD,I normally let her watch cartoons while trying to do her hair cos she loves watching but still doesn’t really work so her fav movie should;thanks.

I wash her hair all at once but will start washing in sections now and as per the spray bottle,she would love it!…cos its all ‘hers’….kids!!!

Thank you for taking the time to help

Nwando Isabella Mbalaso

Hmmmmm!!! I love love this post! I’ll go get my ingredients ASAP!
Well done babes!

lydia

Thanks very much 4 this site u did a great job.pls i want 2 know if i can use any glycerin nd also what is the meaning of Evoo.thanks

Hello Lydia, you should typically use Vegetable Glycerin as the animal derived one is sometimes irritating to sensitive people. EVOO means Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Thanks so much for your compliments.

jane

i use coconut oil, egg, mayonnaise, castor oil, evoo, condenced milk,honey and avacado(opt) sometimes the consistency is watery and it drips i sleep and wash in the morning it works. its good to use things around u and it is economical thanks

dan

hi all,dis is interestin bt whre can i find vegetable glycerine in nigeria?

Latoya

hey can this be used on relaxed hair? if so what should i included and what should be left out from the ingredients that you have shown in this post.

Chinelo

I love your site.u said something about doing your own body lotion and body butter,could u pls help us with d recipes and the procedures.I have a fair skin.thanks

Jossy

Hello NN!

I have thin soft hair. What DC treatment can I use to make my hair fuller and thicker?

Thanks!

iyunade

Incredible! I think your daughter hair should have reach her waist by now.

NaturalV

Nice post!!!, I too love to mix up my own deep conditioning ingredients, i have been thinking about adding banana’s to my mix cant wait to try it.

Yunus. M

Umm Am Sorry Cos I Know That Pink Lips Is Not The Issue But I’ve Heard That Glycerin Can Be Used To Get Pink Lips. Pls Can You Confirm That Pleasseee?? ;(. And what type of glycerin? Plsss?

lami

Pls pals I staRted my transitiong last 3mnt but due to lack of maintainance it got damaged(sad).what are the home made mixture I can aPply to gain my hair back.thanX