Nigerian indigenous herbs

Did you know that the much touted Henna (used for hair treatments and coloring) is Nigerian "Lali" that has been used for years in drawing intricate patterns on the hands and feet of ladies?

That Basil - the herb, not Mr. Fawlty -  which is absolutely wonderful for hair and other applications is nchanwu (igbo) or effirin (yoruba).

There are several herbs that are indigenous to Nigeria that have been well researched but the information is lost in translation because people do not know what the local names are.

Please share any herbs/plants whose local and English names you know.

Please note that there if the herb/plant is not indigenous to Nigeria, it will very likely NOT have a Nigerian name.

UPDATE: Comments are now closed for this post. Any comment that is a question will not be posted. Contributions are however, welcome. Thank you!

299 thoughts on “Nigerian indigenous herbs

1. eccentricyoruba

TBH, I don’t know much about indigenous herbs (I’ve known for a long time now that lali is henna) but I had to comment because this works the other way round for me. That is, I know names of herbs and vegetables in Yoruba and/or Hausa but I do not know what they are called in English!

You can imagine how I felt when I learnt that tsamia is tamarind, if anyone had asked me before I would have said I had never eaten anything with tamarinds in it.

1. princess inameti

pls dont tell me that basil is ntong in efik ie the scent leaf used for pepper soup? na wa o to go school good oooo. then i definitely know what basil is o. oh well

1. Ade

It is rather interesting that I stumbled on this because I recently discovered that ‘mint’ sold at my local telco was actually my native ‘ntong’. How cool is that. I hope other herbs in hiding are revealed! Yippee!

1. Cocomarumba

I just couldn’t resist the impulse of dropping a comment here. Great job Natural Nigerian. It’s good to know that more Nigerians are interested in indigenous herbs. It’s amazing the kind of support you’re giving to the readers but I think Nigerians generally love to be spoon-fed. I find it a bit annoying that some people won’t even bother doing a bit of research but will just start asking for the Nigerian names of practically all herbs!!!! *rolling my eyes* Because of multi-cultural in our environment, we have some herbs that are not indigenous to us, so getting their local names will be difficult. It was a very annoying and quite distasteful when someone saw the picture of the salad where you used parsley and the person still asked if parsley was Ugu. Hiaan!! Abeg my people, a little learning will go a long way and instead of always pressuring Natural Nigerian, also research and contribute so that others can learn from you. @Obi: thanks for the bioline link.

2. mikki

lol..wow… speak of the angelic topic. I have thoughts like this almost every sunday (cooking day). I call friends and family (mostly mom) to find out yoruba names for some of the ingredients I use… and not the english yoruba names..eg miliki (sp) for milk etc. let me know if you find more.
    :-)

1. nomad

stalker and natural naija here. I’m pretty sure nchanwu is a variant of mint. I remember a relative visiting me in “obodo oyibo” and I got her a mojito and she was like, why is there nchanwu in the drink and i was like YES.

1. Obi

“nchanwu in the drink” LOL. I’ve been looking for a species that is exactly like or at least 95% close to my nchanwu but have stuck with those that leave a different after-taste that I don’t like. But last year I found one in walmart that was so close. I had to plant it in my little balcony garden. So sad the winter killed it.

3. Nat.

Yep I tell my Nigerian sisters that I use Lali as a deep condiotioner and they look at me like I’m crazy. Natural Nigerian, you would not believe how much they sell henna in village markets…If i tell you’ll laugh. If you ever visit Nigeria my fellow curlies;go market go shop…the prices of our fav. products are ridiculously cheap.

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

They are sold in the Indian shops for cheap so I can imagine that going to the market to get them will be even cheaper.

There is so much stress on getting “body art quality” henna for hair that I thought that the ones in the open market would be no good. I am glad that you have used it successfully. Just proves that our local one is as good as the so called “body art quality” henna

4. Nat.

Yep I tell my Nigerian sisters that I use Lali as a deep conditioner and they look at me like I’m crazy. Natural Nigerian, you would not believe how much they sell henna in village markets…If i tell you’ll laugh. If you ever visit Nigeria my fellow curlies;go market go shop…the prices of our fav. products are ridiculously cheap.

5. 9ja Mom

Also, isn’t Lali also Osun? I might be mixing it up but my mom makes a mean batch of face wash with Osun, Ose dudu and aloe vera – that combined with OCM makes my face happy…. You can also use Coconut oil to deep condition – it’s amazing!!!!

It’s funny that when I look now, my mom has pretty much been natural for so long but I scorned some of it until now that I’m running as fast as my legs fit carry me back to natural products… Imagine the ‘alum’ she used for deodorant is the ‘Crystal’ they are selling for serious money ;)

Sorry to go off topic – I was supposed to be confirming that effirin is basil… meanwhile what is the Yoruba word for milk? Just hit me i didn’t know ;) just always called it milk, ha ha

1. eccentricyoruba

Osun (as in ‘dudu osun’, if we’re using Yoruba here) is camwood, it is not lali or henna.

The Yoruba word for milk seriously depends, I’d refer to it as ‘milk’ too but I’ve heard it is ‘omu maalu’

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

It so happens that someone asked me the same question recently. Here’s a copy of the mail I sent her. I hope you can find it.

I don’t know the name of the street where the Indian shop is but if you come into Town Planning from Ikorodu road, it is the first turning on your left (you can’t make that turn if you are driving as the road is blocked off to traffic from that side). I usually descend the bridge, ignore Town Planning road and then taking the next turn on the right. Once you drive into up into that road, there are 3 or so Indian shops along that road.

1. eightyone

there’s also an Indian store on the Island. Its on Adeola Odeku (Adeola Odeku and Ahmadu Bello) Cumberland I think its called. not 100% sure. They have laali if thas what you were looking for, both the local one and also packaged. I’d be careful with the local ones though, you will have to sieve it further if using on your hair. It took forever to wash out of mine.

6. Kator

Thank you very much! I am trying to incorporate a little “ayurveda” into my natural hair care regimen. Now, I pray I get what I need! :)

7. TJ

Basil not Mr Fawlty ROFL, needed that laugh today.So henna is actually a Nigerian herb, I never would have known. I thought it was from Indonesia. You to learn something new everyday. I’m brand new to your blog and I like what I’m seeing = )

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

You got the joke, yay!

Henna is indigenous to Nigeria. I tried to check where it originated from and apparently those who know about these things can’t seem to agree what country it came from originally.

I am glad you like what you see.

8. Blessing adedokun

I also know that neem is dongoyaro in yoruba and is used for some beauty issues……Meanwhile,i wonder what the yoruba names for sandalwood,turmeric,greengram,greentea,mint leave,fuller’s earth,fenugreek,coriander,peppercorn and avocado are.I even wonder if they have yoruba variants,these natural ingredients have been reported to be very relevant to beauty.

1. princess inameti

please neem dogoyaro, chei to think that we ll actually buy dogoyaro (neem) from the US when its growing wild her free of charge?

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

I am not sure if fenugreek is indigenous to Nigeria. If you are looking to purchase it, you can find it easily in your local Indian store as either Methi or plain ol’ Fenugreek.

9. Natural Nigerian

Just to comment on the mint-basil question. I like the fact that you guys keep me on my toes. Here is what science (and wikipedia) says:

Basil, or Sweet Basil, is a common name for the culinary herb Ocimum basilicum of the family Lamiaceae (mints).

African Basil a.k.a effirin/nchuanwu: Ocimum gratissimum.

In this: A study on the effect of the leaf essential oil of Ocimum gratissimum Linn. on cyclophosphamide-induced hair loss it states that, “Ocimum oil may, therefore, be capable of enhancing normal hair growth and promoting follicular proliferation in cyclophosphamide-induced hair loss.”

So it is all the same family.

10. Nadine

miliki is more correct for milk as omu maalu is a better translation for the cow’s udder.love the blog tho.i’m a huge herb fan

1. eccentricyoruba

I have no idea why the app I have listed ‘omu maalu’ as cow’s milk but still knowing what that means I’d rather stick to it than ‘miliki’ as ‘miliki’ seems derived from English. Yoruba people must have been drinking milk before they learnt came across English :D

Or maybe ‘oti omu maalu’ would be better? ‘Cow’s udder drink’?

@Natural Nigerian

‘Wara’ is cheese, I mean that’s what I know ‘wara’ as. There are so many words in Yoruba that we now refer to using English words. It’s interesting that ‘wara’ may mean ‘milk’.

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

I got a different perspective on the Omi maalu. In Igbo, Ara/Ala means breast. Mmiri means water. Breastmilk interestingly is called mmiri ala which roughly translates to water of breast which is not so different from Omi maalu.

1. eccentricyoruba

Excellent perspective. ‘Omi maalu’ might make sense but it’d suggest all sorts of meaning. ‘Omu’ is technically breast and ‘maalu’ means cow. Anyway while I trust my Yoruba app for introducing me to ‘real’ Yoruba words, most Yoruba speaking people would laugh if I called milk ‘omu maalu’ :D

1. Coilyafrican

Specifically ‘Wara’ is cottage cheese and it is the best thing ever! it is a fantastic source of protein for me and I use it everywhere. In Italian dishes to substitute feta/goat cheese, when I am being unhealthy I fry and put in stew or I just eat it raw.
            Also the zobo leaves are hibiscus which is used to give the hair a dark stain, good to use after henna as a final rinse to further increase the shine and colour from henna.

1. Haste

Omu is actually milk. Oyan is breast. People interchange omu and oyan. Saying Omu maalu means cow’s milk.

11. eccentricyoruba

@Renée Anastasia Davidenko

You can use zobo as a rinse after putting henna in your hair to bring out the red colour. By zobo did you mean hibiscus or the drink itself? Just boil the dried hibiscus in water and there you have your rinse, no need for grinding and mixing..

12. Efe

OMG Nchanwu is Basil??? #stupid
    Yeah we need to learn these abeg, and henna is cheap in the market? my concern is body art quality, but I shall try it when I make my way to 9ja.

13. Efe

Was actually thinking of using ground hibiscus in my henna mix, does anyone know if these can be purchased or how I can make my own. I tell ya I’m too excited about moving back home, I think my tresses would appreciate me for that, lol.

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

I think that using Hibiscus as a tea rinse AFTER the Henna application may be better. When you are moving back home, do bring some of your staple products. If you like oils and essential oils, bring those too as they may be difficult to find here.

14. eightyone

hello! Okay so I just saw on Dr. Oz something about miracle berry, (Dr. Oz Stan here). Anyway, googled it and found out it is native to West Africa! imagine that. I saw pics online but I’m really wondering what the local name is. Best I could come up with is zobo. No? Any ideas?

1. Akay

Yeah, I think I know what you’re talking about – ‘acai berry’. In Jos, it’s called ‘lemu susu’ (Literally, bird’s orange). Not sure I’ve got the spelling right though.

1. Saratity

@Akay yea acai berry is available in Jos and some other places and it’s called ‘lemun tsuntsu’ in hausa meaning bird’s orange.

Guyz pls can anybody tell me the name of coriander leaf in hausa?

15. Lolax

I stumbled on the fact that Basil is actually efirin when while I was carrying out research on natural acne cures. I saw the picture of basil on the internet and I went ‘this looks like what I have in my backyard’ ! I compared and googled translations of basil and was very elated to confirm my suspicion.
    I know we are blessed with loads of herbs and plant whose extracts are useful but lack of enough research is our undoing. I buy essential oils and plant extracts any time I travel as I make my own skin care, but I am interested in learning about more indigenous herbs.

16. atlgal

Eighty-onr
    Miracle fruit/berry Is agbayun. We had a tree growing up. No sure why it was completely renamed and a west african name not used. Sad much

17. Hilda amadi

Pls can someone help me out here.i’ve been seeing many recipes with cinnamon.what exactly is cinnamon in any Nigerian language n can i get it in Nigeria

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

Cinnamon is widely available in the shops – I have bought ground and whole Cinnamon sticks in the shops before. Try Shoprite or Park n Shop. Baking goods stores should carry them too.

18. zilly

Henna is so common in d north nd so cheap,pls can som1 help me wit hausa name for fuller’s earth and cranberry?also english name for agbalumo?thenx

19. Ramadan Ladi

please what is the exact name for cinnamon in yoruba language and please where in kwara can i get…please i need this ugently…can any body help?

20. Obi

The Dr Oz comment reminded me of things I’d seen on tv. The most recent one was kolanut extract (a drop or 2 in your drinks) to boost metabolism/ energy. When I saw that I thought, really? Oji (as we call it in Igbo) can do that? Maybe I should take one when next it’s served. Other one was Amaranth (amaranthus as my HomEc teacher taught us). I still don’t know the Igbo name, but I’ve always called it “green”. Then I was looking up botanical names of local herbs on a whim the other day and was surprised at the wealth of research info on these herbs online! I was more excited by the fact that these studies were carried out by Nigerians!!! Here’s one (http://www.bioline.org.br/request?nf07006). Call me ignorant, but I’m so used to referencing western or eastern scholars (blame it on school systems) that I totally forget my own grandfather was in the forestry department back in the day.

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

Hi Obi, there is actually a wine made from Kolanuts – it tastes like wine but Kolanuts were used. I tasted it a while ago. I am not sure if the guy is still in production but it was one of those things that I was really impressed with.

I know what you mean about studies being carried out by Nigerians. As an undergrad, I helped in a few for my supervisor who is published. There aren’t nearly enough though…our herbs and oils still need studying.

21. omollorlah

Nice 1 guyz. But can any1 plz research or tell me d native names for fenugreek, fennel, broccoli and pumpkin…really nided. thnks

22. Hajir

Am new pls the native name of cinnamon coz it is very healthy mostly when combined with honey. Check out benefits of honey.com and where can i find indian shops in kano

1. Ayo

I don’t actually know the yoruba name for Turmeric but I buy and use from the women selling herbs for deconcortions and infusions in Lagos (elewe omo). You would not get them fro the food ingredient seller though. Would ask them for the real name in Yoruba

1. chiomaO

Any idea what the igbo name for chickpea is?
        The women at the market looked Completely lost when I askedfor chickpea flour. I’m resident in the east

23. kabiyesi

@Akay we have 2 type of mint
    there is 1 with big leaf and 1 wit small leaf d 1 wit small laef is also curry leaf which yoruba is calling ”efirin oso”

24. uju

Basil is nchanwu? Omg! Demonstrated that in waitrose for 2 years n it never once clicked! Only stumbled on this while researchn henna. Well done my ppl! Thanks for d info

25. purplezee

plz is there an indian shop in port harcourt….n @naturalnigerian….you r doing a very good job here…kudos

26. Beverly Gatewood

I am interested in essential oils from Africa. I attempted to contact a university in Idabay Nigeria. Several times I never got a response. I am african decent born in America. trying to refind my culture to use african essential oils of some of the herbs and plants

1. kemi

most of these herbs are grown locally in plateau state. Broccoli and cauliflower can be bought from vegetable market in Jos(Bukuru express way). You can even buy with root and plant them yourself.

27. Tee

Hi Natural Nigerian, what type of Henna do you sell please? Is it recommended over the standard Indian quality types for hair dyeing purposes (based on lawsone content, pesticides, contaminants etc). Thanks!!

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

Hello Tee, we sell Body Art Quality. I don’t know anything of the indian quality types to comment on them. However, we have gotten rave reviews from customers for our Henna. It is 100% Nigerian by the way.

1. Folajomi

@natural Nigeria,you doing a wonderful job here,pls where exactly is your shop,I’ll like to patronize u seriously.thanks

28. opzay

I don’t know if sage,gotu kola or rosemary has a yoruba name since they are not indeginous to nigeria.however,u can get rosemary in Jos(sold in their vegetable market as rosemary.just ask for rosemary). Clove is “kannofuru” in yoruba

1. John

Thank you very much opzay for your response.Seeing the picture, that was what my mind said but needed to confirm before telling people about it’s wonders.

29. opzay

I just remembered,if u are in the Lagos area,u may find rosemary at shoprite in their spices section,but I may be wrong.you may have to call their customer care service(u can google “shoprite lagos”to get the customer service number) and inquire first

30. Enitan

I’m stunned and impressed by the amount of things I learnt here. You doing a great job Naturalnigerian. Thanks a lot.
    *Cayenne is Bawa. Chilli is Shombo*

1. Bisi

Chili is not cayenne. Chili is very hot pepper in Yoruba i.e. atarodo and ata wewe while cayenne is Shombo which is a little milder that chili. Aligator Pepper is Atare in Yoruba while ground black pepper if Oziza in Igbo and Iyere in Yoruba languages.

31. moi07

Am rily enlightened by all of dis post…2 gud heads(aw much mor wen its mor dan 2)r better dan 1.b uh pls stil yet 2 c a response a response 2 d yoruba or hausa or igbo name 4 ‘cinnamon’….pls need 2 know,its urgent!tnx y’all

1. opzay

Just go to people who sell baking goods and ask for cinnamon,they usually carry it.it doesn’t really have an indeginous name(but I may) be wrong

32. rafiyat

cinnamon,fenugreek,fennel are not indigenous to nigeria,so no nigerian name for them,just ask from those that sells spices in the market,they may have.
    i tink holy basil is effirin and acai berry is d popular “baba dudu” that blackens teeth when u eat them.

33. Lolax

Hi NN, long time..trust you’ve been busy.

whatever happened to that research you were going to do on indigenous herbs? Any update?

34. Ayo

You guys have been very helpful. Thanks. Need yoruba name for chamomile. The plant is also found in yorubaland and realy need the name pls.

35. lovely

I’m so happy I found this site
    Pls,can someone tell me where to get
    Fenugreek,wild yam,red clover and
    Saw palmetto in nigeria,either in the
    Eastern or western part.
    Or d igbo or yoruba names.
    Thanks.

36. Abimbola

Please where can I get cinnamon ingredients dat is use for cocktail drink and wat do dey call it in yourba. Thank you

37. Herbal Plus

Sweet Basil is scent leave and not mint. Black pepper is iyere in Yoruba oziza in Igbo, sobo flower is isapa pupa in Yoruba and Red sorrel in English, thorny pigweed/prinkly amaranthus is tete eleegun in Yoruba. I am a phytomadicine specialist. Helped?

38. Herbal Plus

Wara is used for both cheese and milk. I laughed at ur omi omu maalu. Alum and mentol crystal are not the same. Osun is camwoom and not laali. Come for Yoruba lessons.

39. TpWemmy

Was wowed wen I read all ur submissions…cant believe effinrin is d almighty basil and to think d iyere I loathe is d black pepper I luv? Still numb. @all, pls keep up d good work. Milk is wara,I studied yoruba in d uni. Will try&do some findings & update u guys.

40. TpWemmy

Stumbled on dis page&am wowed I’m wowed by all ur submissions…cant believe effinrin is d almighty basil and to think d iyere I loathe is d black pepper I luv? Still numb. @all, pls keep up d good work. Milk is wara,I studied yoruba in d uni. Will try&do some findings & update u guys.

41. Okayboy

Though the spice; fenugreek is not indegenous to Yoruba, but I could see some Yorubas using it to cook meanwhile its yoruba’s name is lost. And for that “efirin” concisely is “holy basil”…

42. siam

Well done guys. We’ve got lots of ‘natural treasures’ and am glad we are rediscovering them. ‘Nchanwu’ or ‘ntong’ (in efik) is basil, ‘zobo’ is sorrel, ‘tsamia’ (in hausa) is tamarind,’mankane’(may not get it right) is shea butter.

43. Zee

I’ve been natural more than a year and can’t believe I haven’t come across this blog before! And I’m sad I just missed the NITC, have so many questions. Speaking of, does anyone know exactly how to use basil in hair?

1. Natural Nigerian

Post author

We hold the NITC quarterly so please look out for the next one. You can use Basil as a tea rinse or infuse it in oil.. You can buy the essential oil from the Ahia and use drops of basil in pretty much every hair care products.

44. Mary

Hey everyone, i really appreciate what everyone is doing here, kudos!…Please, can anyone help me with the local name for beeswax? I really need it urgently for a project…Thanks

45. Mary

Please i really need help on the local name for beeswax. I need to complete my research. Thanks for your help…once again, kudos!

1. opzay

Beeswax is beeswax. If you know anyone who sells honey or harvests them,there’s a high possibility they’ll have or if all else fails,go to wjere cosmetic raw materials are sold at ojota in lagos and ask where you can get beeswax

1. opzay

I dont think saw palmetto is indeginous to Nigeria. I don’t know what you want to use it for. But if it is to stop male pattern baldness caused by DHT in men,then maybe try pumpkin seeds(elegede in yoruba)they are high in zinc and is a cost effective way of stopping male parttern baldness. You just extract the seeds ,sprinkle a little sugar and salt and if u like it spicy a bit of ground pepper and roast .like a quarter of a teaspoon daily shold be enough

46. Damsel

I’m glad I stumbled on this blog. It’s quite informative and I enjoyed all comments.

Zobo leaf is Roselle Calyx. The juice extracted can be used as a quick relief from malaria by drinking several times in a day, or made into a drink by adding sugar. ginger, flavor of your choice. it’s really cool when chilled and it’s an awesome dupe for coca cola.

Adin dudu is palm kernel oil which is used for soap making, as a hair cream or body cream if you’re not fussy about the odour.

Ewedu leaf (dunno the english) can also be used as a quick relief from malaria. Fresh whole ewedu bunch is washed and put into a pot (the roots would have been trimmed though), add enough water to cover the leaves and bring to boil, remove the leaves immediately to prevent the juice from being slimy. drink the extract throughout the day and repeat the process if need be the following day.

I have some other natural tips but I’m not sure the extent to which I can post here. Hope that was helpful though.

Cheers

1. Damsel

spinach is efo tete in yoruba. Yoruba’s spinach is different from that sold in the UK. that of Uk is kinda softer and in my opinion feels like water leaf (gbure) lol

Pls what’s efo igba in English?

1. Herbal Plus

Spinach is not tete. Tete is greenly amaranthus and soko is tricolor amaranthus. Spinach is not our herb. Google will help and try images.

1. kemi

Spinach is different from tete. I don’t know why most Nigerians refer to tete (greenly amaranthus) and soko (tricolor amaranthus) as spinach. There are two types of spinach in Nigeria; the African spinach(rorowo-yoruba) and indian spinach (ilaali- Yoruba)

47. Augustus Nwanguma

Please what is the Igbo name for the following herbs. Gegsen, cranberries, cinnaman, juniper berries, golden seal, devils claw and cedarberrier

48. sani

kudos to u all.This is quite enlighten and educative,pls wot d name of Golden seal,phyllantus amarus,sage in Yoruba and Hausa.Where can i locate a Herbal shop in Abuja.Thanks

49. sani

kudos to u all.This is quite enlighten and educative,pls whats d name of Golden seal,phyllantus amarus,sage in Yoruba and Hausa.Where can i locate a Herbal shop in Abuja.Thanks

50. Princessa

there is this red substance(herb)that really stains the hands and its not henna,i would like to know what its called,and also i know of turmeric which is sort of orange yellow,but is there
    another turmeric specie
    that’s actually red red?

51. Herbal Plus

People should be mindful and be sure of their interpretations of herbs as wrong information can harm the receivers through the usage of wrong herbs

52. Bunmi

Wow! Who else has discovered the great benefit of the stinging nettle leaf? Infact it I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ a great hair booster J̶̲̥̅̊​U̶̲̥̅̊​Ş̲̣̥​†̥​ like the rosemary leaf. Please do give it a try to enhance your hair easily and safely

53. emem

pls where can i buy alfalfa tea for cure of high blood pressure i live in port harcourt,rivers state i will be grateful if i can locate any store in port harcourt where this tea is being sold

1. opzay

I don’t know where to get alfalfa,but,why not add garlic to your diet as spice,you can even go a futher step by eating a clove BEFORE going to sleep at night,modify your lifestyle by including exercises(like taking a walk),reduce alcohol,reduce your sodium intake(which includes salt,all flavor enhancers such as maggi,vedan )and replace them with spices so you don’t miss the taste of salt. Keep in mind that even subtle lifestyle changes can impact on your health

54. sarah

someone said something about shea butter being called mankane. When you go to the market to buy it, just tell the women ” ori ” else drag your bed along with you cos you might spend the night there (depends on the person you aproach though). If u’re looking for avocado, aproach those women that sell fruits like banana and oranges, ask them for avocado pear. The name is not different. The indian basil is not our scent leave though they might be cousines. It is called tulsi. I dont know what it is in yoruba.yes I know cos my friend ( an indian) told me and i googled it also. They dont look so much alike. Dont roll ur eye….. I know cos i have the plant at home.

55. Ababinyamin

You are well doing 4 a wonder4ul job. Shea butter known as ori in Yoruba, is called mankadai in hausa (the oil of kadai). The tree from which the shea butter is extracted is called ‘kadai or kadanya in some part of north. G.

56. le mignon

Wow..I’m so grateful I found myself here..I been trying for ages to know the local names of these herbs..esp turmeric..I know its called kurkum in hausa but any one I asked seemed to stare at me like I was from space..tnx again..will sure send in watever I find abt our local herbs..

57. husna

thnks Nigerians. Can anyone tell me whats fennel in hausa was thinking if its gadali in hausa. But do u know that the miracle tree or moringa is called ‘zogale’ in hausa.

58. Duchess

Y’all are just wonderful.. Am happy I found ds place.. Pls can anyone tell me what Chamomile is called in yoruba language?

59. Exotique

Basil is Nchuanwu??? lolllzzz. I was actually researching making a body cream from shea butter and what to add to give it a good scent till I stumbled across this blog. @NaturalNigerian: I am so proud of you. Thanks for all these. so informative. I would like to be in touch with you: Twitter, Facebook, your newsletters, etc. Guess you are in Lagos: we need your products here in Enugu and Umuahia please. If u wanna expand East anytime I would like to be a part of it. Meanwhile may I have your email addy pls? Got questions and questions.

60. Exotique

Yea I know your products can be ordered for online, but not everyone has access to the internet. A lot of your market is untapped. Lol. My Dad likes herbs and stuff so we even have dogonyaro in our compound doing nothing. What is it used for please? If I can get more info I could obtain seeds and plant some more useful herbs in my garden.

61. berry glam

Wow all the info, by the way i think that peppercorns are uzizia seeds..great to use in home made salad dressings…

62. Ifeoluwa

Natural Nigerian…….I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!……uar my saving grace!…..im in d university here in Nigeria and we were given an assignment on nutritional biotechnology to find out names of indigeneous herbs…….ur blog was even more than a saving grace to me!………THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!
    NB: pls i wud like to be updated frequently.here is my mail; okeifeoluwa@ymail.com
    tenks so much!

63. Nkechi

Wow! Dis place is good… Plz can anyone tell me what wood base, orris root, patchouli nd vervain is in igbo nd plz where can i find it in enugu?

64. Nkechi

Am glade i found dis site, its wow… And i need help in finding what wood base, orris root, patchouli nd vervain is in igbo nd where can i find it in enugu?

65. jane

please what is the local name for green tea ( carmellia sinensis ). how can i get the leaves, please i need it urgently. Thank you

66. Hauwa

Hello, just found this page when i searched for what’s avocado in hausa. Does anyone here know please? Fenugreek is known as hulba in hausa and you can get it at the market from people that sell herbs

67. laide

wow i am amazed at the richness of the content on this page, its well educative and it shows natural nigerian is well informed, weldone and pls keep the good work moving, thumbs up. i was at the latest NITC help at Ikoyi Gallery, and i am so looking forward to the next meet up. Am so happy i would be traveling back to London with all these cheap amazing natural hair herbs no need for expensive money wasting crap.

68. helen

Wow! Am so in love with this site,av really gained a lot.can someone pls tell me what a fennel seed is in yoruba nd where to get it.much love

69. oma

wow…great job…thanks….please what is the local name for coriander?? and where can i get the fresh leaves in lagos and port harcourt

70. Uche

I have just discovered a Gold Mine! God Bless the owner of this site and give you strength to continue to bless us with such rich information. I can’t believe i’m just seeing this accident. Thank you for this post. very helpful in my research.

71. Uche

I can’t belive i just stumbled unto this site. This site is a Gold Mine. God bless the owner of this site and give you strenght to continue blessing us with more information.

72. Omolola

Am really learning today, knowledge is power I must say. I stumbled upon this page while I was looking for the meaning of “peppermint leaf” in Yoruba language. Does anyone know pls?

73. Bethy

I just stumbled on this site and im so glad i did.good job!! pls what is the yoruba name for flax seed?

74. OTella

I am a Yoruba/Jamaican henna artist in the New York area and I always tell people that henn a is Lali not only in Nigeria but West Africa. It’s not only India or middle Eastern. Where did human beings come from again?

75. Seun

hi everyone
    nice to know we are all getting back to our origin for new solutions,
    Natural nigeria….kudos to u
    pls what is rosewater called in yoruba

76. favour

o! I so love wat am seeing! u’re doing a great NN. stumbled on this site while looking for beeswax retailers in lagos. do u by any chance sell beeswax?

77. iyabo Alliu

i am happy to be here,the tree that produce sheer butter(ori) in yoruba is igi emi but the sweet edible outer part of the seed is emi and the seed that produce the ori is called eese, it is found in every corner of baruten part of kwara state.Hope to update you on some other findings.

78. maksy

Dalu nu, Sanu, Ekushe everyone, you’re doing a great job. I’ve lately become very interested in herbs and glad i found this site. Please i suggest that when someone mentions a herb they should be kind enough to enlighten others on their MEDICINAL/BEAUTY uses and benefits.
    GOD BLESS YOU ALL

79. abilove

cinnamon tree in yoruba is ewe agbayun or igi didun. Also milk thistle in yoruba is
    Ewe kilomafimise. While moringa in yoruba is ewe ile, in hausa zogolaganli, in fulani gawara, in igbo odudu oyibo and clove in
    Yoruba is kanafuru

80. Toothpick

9ice work guyz….. Erythrophleum suaveolen(ordeal tree) is epo öbo in yoruba used basically to arrest witches and cancer(anti inflammatory,…. sida acuta is ewe akoko in yoruba used for fever,malaria and pain relief, ……mucana pruriens(cowhage seed) is very strong increasing men’s sperm count and also increase libido and virility(sexual vigor) just like garlic,ginger and tribulus terrestis which is da ogun dagunro in yoruba…. Ocimum basilicum is scent leaf used for pepper soup(efirin) bt very active in anti malaria,stomach problem, menstrual pain etc,….carica papaya(Almighty pawpaw) i called it ‘ALMIGHTY’ cos of its perfectionism in healing common malaria and fever which affect virtually all human being,infact no part of pawpaw is wasteful from d peel of it ,if combined with seed(unripe) which cure ulcer or d dried leaf which cure cancer…..Parkia filicoidea(locust bean) called iru or irugba in yoruba used for spice in stew has bin researched and confirmed that it act has traquilizer for those wit hypertension,cancer both pancrean and breast .

81. Dr.Charles.Abraham

You are doing a great job but unfortunately many Nigerians who suffer in silent ,knew nothing about this site or are not aware this type of site exist,please you need more enlightenment campaign most especially for students who are studying botany.

82. Anurika

How do I use nchanwu leaves for my hair? Do I dry it and make an infusion with another oil. Thanks for the info.
    I just did the BC and I trying to use all natural products.
    Great job you’re doing. It’s really appreciated.

83. chiomy

kip up d good work love u lots NaturalNigeria, another wonderful discovery is bamboo extract, also called achara bekee in igbo, it can make ur hair grow like grass, nd somany other tinz pls gogle it swt ple.

84. Flower

Thanks so much for this website. Please does anyone know the English name for “flower Pupa” which is used for clearing skin blemishes in babies. Yoruba’s call the skin blemish “igbalode” The leave is cooked and used to bathe the baby to help the blemish disappear. They can drink it as well. Please help if you know the English name and where to get it! Pictures will be helpful as well.

1. Bisi

wonderful website. I may be wrong, In some parts of Yoruba land, Red Acalypha is used as herb (cooked) for those suffering from Sickle Cell Anemia.

85. opzay

@flower,flower pupa is called “Red Acalypha”. You can try googling Acalypha spp. Where I come from,they use it for very many babies who have skin blemishes

86. glory

The yoruba name for sandalwood is gbengbe and in igbo it is called nturukpa. Am a fan of sandalwood cos I badly needed it dt I googled all I can to get d names in our local language n here am greatful sharing it with odas dt av same interest like me.

1. annonymous

Great job natural nigerian, I really like ur blog cos it’s about natural things. I have had difficulty locating most of the ingredients cos of the language barrier, is it possible to for u to write an article to help people with this problem.

87. tema

Cinnamon is called basa kwari in hausa you can get it in the market from those people who sales natural spices (kayan yaji)

88. kerry

very wonderful, this site..am soo glad to know that there are many Nigerians that still appreciate nature and its endless benefits
    and to you NN!, thank yu so much, am planing to start my own Garden for my spa in BAyelsa and i really need to find out more about healthful herbs and plants, so i appreciate all if this intelligent remarks and comments, but please if anyone has more information can email me at Kerry_st.claire@yahoo.com, Thamks soo much.

89. Annonymous

NN i really love your blog. You are doing a great job please keep it up. I did a research on how to make the hair grow longer and thicker naturally and i came across these indian hair herbs. Bhringraj, brahmi, indian curry leave & rosemary i dont know if you have them i need them to make my herbal infusion (hair tonic).

90. sadiat

kudos to natutal Nigerian u are doing great job. i think beewax is afara oyin in yoruba and clove is ayuu. what is kanafuru in english and cinnamon in yoruba. thanks

1. Bisi

Please, if Beeswax is Afara Oyin in Yoruba, what is Beescomb or the comb in Yoruba. Also, Clove is kanafuru in Yoruba and not Ayuu, while Ayuu is Garlic in English language.

91. chydera

i had an accident(domestic . fire) early dis yr now d wood has healed buh d area affected is now wrikled, pls is there any natural way i can treat dis? tank.

92. chuks

pls who can help me with ibo name for clove. ( kamnofuru) and where possibly can I get it. urgently needed.
    Thanks house.

93. Cylina'Dor

I was here about a year ago to find out the local name for trumeric. Thanks for that, happy new year btw, I recently did the BC abt two weeks ago and I am a Mixxtress I make all my hair products myself, I am wondering if the rosemary they sell in d market*like d one u brought from d spice guy looks a bit like thyme* is d same rosemary we know? Also if I can get d fresh leaves and also where can I get mint leaves? What’s d local name for it? I have gone to 3 diff markets today an one of the women called *OYE OCHA* cos I had to show ha wat d leaves looks like. Help a sister wanna infuse it in my coconut oil. Tnx

94. halie

It’s gud 2 surf d net for u nvr know d interesting n useful sites u wl find.
    Kudos 2 Natural Nigerian and all of u!!
    Some ques might hav xpired bt I hp sayin a few thng on them is stil welcome
    The neem tree is indigenous 2 northern nigeria and d name is “dogon yaro” as in “tall boy”
    Fenugreek is indigenous 2 asia bt in hausa it is called “hulba” from d arabic name “hulb”
    Cinnamon in hausa is “girfa” or “kirfa”
    Milk in hausa is “madara”
    Henna is “lalle” in hausa
    The hausa Soborodo”zobo”leaves is from sorrel leaves which in turn is “yakuwa” sour leaves
    Shea butter is “man kadanya”
    Mint leaf is frm the arabs and indians and in hausa known as “na’a-na’a” which is good for brain development n knowledge retention…
    More coming soon…

95. willi

You guys here are really great! Please do you know maybe NaFdac allow a person to buy Phyllantus nururi and urinari from other countries or ayureda stuffs or where can someone get those things please help out!

96. willi

You guys here are really great! Please do you know maybe NaFdac allow a person to buy Phyllantus nururi and urinari from other countries or ayureda stuffs or where can someone get those things please help out in lagos?

97. Bisi

I would like to know the Yoruba name for Alfalfa. Someone said it is efo soko, but I dont think so. the plant image of alfalfa that I saw in the internet looks to me like efo ebolo. Please I want someone to confirm this. Good Work. Please keep it up.

98. Anthonia

nice job indeed keep it up. pls how do i get to buy your products online? expecially saw palmeto essential oil