I was asked to share a picture of my hair after putting up this post about how my hair had gotten really dry.  After a few day of:
  • Shampooing – with a Bentonite clay based shampoo (Terressentials Mud Wash). I used the Lavender Garden which is good for dry hair.
  • My hair loves clay treatments. It curls up even more and gets really really soft.

• Deep Conditioning – I make my own conditioners from scratch and I made one that was super rich and intense to take care of my super dry hair. If I were to provide you with a label, it would read something like this: Aloe Vera Gel, Water, BTMS, Shea Butter, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Honey, Castor Oil, Hemp Oil, Coconut Oil, Panthenol (vitamin B), Rosemary Essential Oil and Basil Essential Oil. I used a lot of Aloe Vera Gel because it is very moisturizing. The BTMS is there because it is not possible to have a real conditioner (not the homemade version) without a real cationic quaternary compound. Every single ingredient has a function it plays towards enriching hair. Perhaps I will get into this in another post -not sure yet if I will.
    I did not use steam to DC this time – just put a plastic cap over my head for about 14 hours
  • Daily Moisture – I spritzed with a water & glycerin mix, massaged a leave-in conditioner into my hair and then sealed all the goodness in with either castor oil or shea butter. I did this daily.
  • I also massaged my scalp with coconut oil every other day.

Voila! 7 days later:

Just a few days after working on my hair
Afro hair is super thirsty. Just after a few days of supplying moisture, the hair got shinier, looked thicker and though it is not immediately visible here, the ends got really curly. Makes me wonder how my insides cope when I don’t drink as much water as I should.
So how do you bring your hair back from the brink?

kitkat

wow, you’re so knowledgeable! what about those of us that have never made our own hair products? what do we buy for our hair? 🙁
i just decided not to relax my hair ever again..

I thought you said you were keeping your options open ;). You are in product land…there are a lot of good brands to pick and choose from. Just try and get 1) A good shampoo 2) 2 different types of conditioner (Protein and Moisture) 3) An oil or butter for sealing in moisture. These are the very basics and you should be fine with these.

aloted

what does BTMS stand for, pls?

Currently my hair is in yarn braids so I moisturise daily with a spritz of rosewater, aloe vera juice and glyercin and then seal with a oil mix.

Will have to come up with a regime when I remove the braids.

My hair is in a protective style too (kinky twists) and I follow the same spritzing and sealing procedure daily.

BTMS’s is an emulsifying conditioner and it stands for Behentrimonium methosulfate ( see why it is easier to say BTMS :)?) which is a derived from colza oil.

aloted

lol..will check BTMS out online.

Btw, you’ve been tagged on my blog. Pls check it out. x.
P.S- I know your blog is a hair blog but pls oblige me, Tnx 😀

Just wanted to point out that I made what can pass for a store bought conditioner which is why the BTMS was one of my ingredients. I have water and oil in that conditioner and in order for them to stick together rather than folllow their natural inclination to seperate, I had to use an emulsifier to bind them together in a “stable” mixture. BTMS is not just an emulsifier, it is also a very good conditioner so it was the perfect candidate for the job.

Funny, I have never thought of myself as having a hair blog. Just thought I had a blog that talked about all sorts of things including hair. I am going to have to balance things out a little to acheive that.

I’ll go over to your blog pronto! Thanks for tagging me.

Natural Girl

Hi, I have heard about Terraessential Mud Wash Shampoo, if you ordered it from the US. Please how long did delivery take?

I got a friend to bring it over for me. I didn’t ship internationally. I won’t be buying any more though. Not because it is not a good product but because of all the trouble associated with procuring it all the way from the U.S.

I will just make my own “shampoo” with actual bentonite clay when I run out of Terraesentials.

Esthermaria

How do I also get my hands on some bentonite clay? Is there a local variety of this product?

nkese

please we ll like to know where to get all this wonderful oils in nigeria, or where i can get them in the US.

tia

I’ve been leaving either commercial conditioners or a mixture of shea butter and a moisturizer in my hair all day or over night. Is that healthy for hair?

Took me forever to answer, sorry.

My answer is: All good things are bad in excess. The commercial conditioners that you use may have silicones which need to be washed off. If they are allowed to build up in the hair, they will cause dryness and will not even permit water and other conditioners to go through and moisturize the hair. Also, they may contain protein which you do not need in excess in your hair.

As long as you have acheived your goal – in this case I think it is an injection of moisture, you should stop the intensive treatments. Use a light leave-in conditioner and shea butter by all means but water and shea butter or a light oil will also do the trick.

Hope this helps!

You can spritz water once a day and then lightly seal if you have very dry hair. Don’t forget to wash your hair frequently so that it has time to breath and recover from any treatments.

It is not really that hard but to paint a true picture: nothing is really easy, is it? Even if you go with the option of relaxed hair, keeping it healthy is not going to be easy peasy. You still need to wash and style it, still need to re-touch your roots, still need to condition it intensely, still need to braid or put in extensions from time to time.

Premier

I think my hair has a natural tendency to be superflous…but for reasons i havnt really pinned down…its dificult to achieve…Its breaks too much…its dry and too weak for my likeness,and d edges are way much lower than d centre….I live in a rather remote place,it may b dificult to get into trusted shops…Can you prescribe any NATURAL remedy for me please?

You can incorporate the suggestions from the post and add a herbal rinse which you could also use as a hair spritz between shampoo days.

Can you lay your hands on Hibiscus Flower? That is Zobo or Sorrel. Make a tea from it and voila!

Mne

Ma, I am sooo late but I live in Benue State. I googled if I can find BTMS in Nigeria and it led me right here. I want to formulate my conditioner, both wash out and leave in, and that is the hard product to find where I live. Can I find it in Lagos then? Thank you

Mne

Oh! thanks for the quick respose. Sob, sob sob about the BTMs stuff. Love your blog. As a natural haired in Benue, you simply cant find good products. The last time I had to send for everything from Lagos. Then Abuja. My husband brought amla powder and henna for me from India. The supply will last me several months. My hair is so similar to yours and after henna, my Giovanni is always spent because I modify it to a deep conditioer.

Mne

Ma, I wish I could save you my essay, but you will be surprised at how many oils I have had to extract for my hair. Sesame, avocado, cocoa butter( I traveled to Cameroon to buy the beans) castor oil, neem oil, from the seeds. Coconut oil. All these are not hard to do since I am presently a stay home woman. I was a bit impressed with Giovanni for moisturising my hair, but the day I sealed with coconut oil instead of castor oil, my hair dried up in the next 4 hours. I am back to searching again. Do you by any means sell the BTMS? And if not, will it be possible to have an aside when next you order? I am getting a bit desperate. I have very fine strands of 4c hair, (I do henna to make them a bit stronger and less delicate to handle) very porous; which happen to be densely packed and detangling is becoming a nightmare since the hair has reached 7inches. 2 days ago I almost cut it off. Please, I need your help.

Mne

oh! im so grateful. I use my phone to browse. I tried to access my mail box and I was asked to first open using desktop, then I can use the phone again. however, I sent this same message to your facebook page along with a friendship request. it was quite early and i was running around. i checked to see if it was posted. i didnt see it so I went to facebook. your facebook page. thanks a lot. your quick response always gives me hope.

nessie

Can you please tell me how much of each of the ingredients you used did you measure to make your mixture for deep conditioning

Som

Hi,
I have been natural for 15months now, i didnt BC just transitioned. but my biggest problem is finding a good style to fit my face. I have this roundish chubby face and updos do not fit my face at all (or maybe i dont know how to) i have searched almost all the natural hair blogs online please i need help.

atm

hi Som, have u tried styles dt give your face height with the sides of your hair pulled back? i have a roundish, chubbish face too and it works for me. I’ve noticed that for faces like that, if the hair isnt long past your chin, if the hair covers the sides it only makes it wider. Try the height+ sides pulled back idea if you havent.