I currently have two posts on Shea butter (ori in Yoruba, okwume in Igbo) so I guess the fact that I like my shea butter is not a big secret. However, because I do not find Shea butter easy to spread, I whip it up with some other oils and throw in some Essential oils.

I share my method for whipping up a batch below:

I melt my shea butter using a Heat safe container submerged in boiling water. (Double boiler method). That way the Shea is gently melted and there is no loss in nutritive properties due to overheating. I add my oils to the Shea butter after it is melted.

I use a whisk to whip it all together. A whisk is great for this because it incorporates air into the mixture, making it nice and fluffy.

After whisking and cooling alternately it solidifies into a light butter.

I put it in this tin for good presentation - I was giving this to my former lecturer.

I used olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil (if it is going on my hair), glycerin and either lavender or lemongrass essential oil. My girl screwyhair has details on ingredients and measurements.

When you first use whipped shea butter, you may find it a bit greasy on application. Have no fear! It sinks right in really quickly.

In case you haven’t read my old posts on Shea butter, you can find some information on Shea butter in this post here and if you want to know how it is processed from the nut to the butter, go here.

Aloted

I just whipped some up this past weekend myself! I added EVOO, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil, vit E, honey and lavender to mask the shea butter smell. This is what princess and I use to cream our body daily.

Great mix. I tend not to like using castor oil on my body because it is so heavy and I tend to avoid using coconut oild on my skin a lot because it can be comedogonic – but that is a personal choice. We all need to do what works for us. Thanks for sharing.

kitkat

I read somewhere that you only need one good oil rather than plenty different oils since the oil is just used to seal in moisture? how true is this?
I currently use only olive oil, is there a huge difference between using just olive oil and using olive oil, jojoba oil & coconut oil together. And in your opinion, which is the best of the three oils?
I love me some Shea butter, i got a lot of that the last time i visited Nigeria and i dnt know why i didnt hear about it earlier. I use it both for my hair and face.

ScrewyHair

It all depends on the individual; my hair’s greedy and benefits from mixing 3 oils (olive, coconut, and jojoba oils). Olive oil alone isn’t enough to soften my hair, although it is for a lot of people. Oils have different qualities, so a mix of the oils your hair likes can be a good thing because they complement one another: coconut oil softens my hair but evaporates quickly, while the olive oil keeps it in longer and keeps my hair from getting coconut-oil-crunchy when I’m in a cold room, and heavy jojoba oil further conditions my hair–and every one of them packs a vitamin punch.

(Also, because some oils have low freezing points, some naturals in temperate climates tend to mix them with others that have a higher freezing point, so that the oil doesn’t turn white in their hair or make it feel crunchy, e.g., adding olive oil to low-freezing coconut oil.)

I too love me some shea butter. I can tell you that using oils and a shea-based hair butter (while also paying proper attention to my hair), my hair has never felt so soft.

I love Aloe Vera gel because it is so moisturizing.Good call. The only thing is that adding Aloe Vera gel to this mixture makes it a hydrous substance which is more susceptible to bacteria,, mold, germ growth. If you are not making small batches and storing in a fridge then youneed to use a preservative. How do you preserve yours?

You don’t need to restrict yourself to any of the particular oils. You should view the list as a recommendation. You can even use just one oil and not two or more depending on your hair needs. Just look around for what you can lay your hands on and use that.

By the way, at the meet up you will be able to get some of those hard-to-find ingredients ;)

chibaby

Love this! just made a fresh batch last night and it smells heavenly,,have been getting alot of request so I just started selling to friends..I mixed my shea butter with EVOO (its refined locally in jos and has a fanatastic nutty olive scent) , sweet almond oil, and coconut oil ( refined in my kitchen) then I added some drops of lavender.. Nothing softens natural (and non natural hair) like shea butter. I lost my mom a few years ago and decided to relax my hair.> big mistake! but i still use shea butter for myself and my children. I hope I am still welcome to the meet with my relaxed hair!!
btw who knows what ori amo is? its not ori..has a funkier smell kinda smells like what they call maishanu in the north..Also does anyone have any links for cocoa butter?

I had no idea that olives were indigenous to Nigeria – thanks for sharing that. I have to try and get a supplier as I would much rather get it locally than otherwise.

I don’t have an answer on the Ori Amo – I will ask around. I am working on finding a cocoa butter supplier as well. Let me know if you find one.

chibaby

ok..have found some shea butter lady that has promised to link me up to a cocoa butter supplier , the only problem is that she doesnt think the guys sells in small quantities.
Yep they have olives in plateau, my colleague gets from his village when ever he goes home and resells I can link u up with him…
pls dont forget to ask about ori-amo thanks.

To address the dryness,stay hydrated and spritz your hair with water frequently. Since your hair is really dry, I would advice that you use the 3 step method: Spritz with water, layer on a leave-in conditioner and then seal it all with Shea butter or castor oil.

Managing hair breakage is really more about technique. Let’s deal with that in a post of its own soon.

golden_LADY

I’m based in the States and I have been perusing your blog site. I love it! No offense but you’re a rarity being based in lagos with so much in depth knowledge and inclination to utilizing what mothers earth and nature put before us. Now I could be ignorant with these statements but I speak from experience and as I stated before I’m based here in the states where many african-americans are still are shrouded with ignorance about the long term benefits of going natural (not necessarily 100%, I know that’s a stretch but a decent aspect is better than nothing). Being nigerian myself, I’ve seen firsthand what inclinations to commerical products can produce, especially when it comes to hair in the african community. Anyway, I just want to extend my appreciation for taking the time out to share your knowledge and information throughout and I will be visiting your blog often. With that being said,

Please hook me up with info on purchasing the shea butter from nigeria in mass quantities possibly especially because of where I stay. Thank you so much urbanesque82@gmail.com

Ms.E

pls do you have exact measurements for making this? would be grateful if you give the measurements

Coilybella

Another great post.
My daughter and I cannot do without our shea butter mix. I love your response to “Adura Ojo”. That type of layering is what I have been doing recently and I love it. Looking forward to your future posts.

Ruth

Please can i get the phone number of your supplier, i need to get shea butter and jojoba oil

ReShonda Parker

Hi! I love Shea butter , but there is soooo much info out there on the correct way to use it that it’s easy to become confused and frustrated. So I searched for a recipe to whip it and came a roses yours! But there are no measurements and I am not good at ” eyeballing” ingredients. Is there any way you can give the measurements? Also looked up your link to screwy haired girl and she took the measurements down :(. I’m really wanting to make this tomorrow in time for my wash day! Can you please help? Thanks and loved your blog :)

Hello ReShonda, I am an “eyeballer” myself which was why I sent folks over to Screwy Haired Girl’s blog. I would say I do roughly 2 parts butter to 1 part oil. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

I am so glad you loved the blog! Thank you!

obymma

I really love his blog, plz can I get a supplier of cocoa butter and shea butter in large quantity plz

asmaa

any supplier u have in uae with good price

please contact my email

i need shea butter as soon as possible

SaraK

Great site….I’m so glad to find something that’s being run by Africans.

Isn’t if funny that most people are raving about it only because The Body Shop, L’Occitane, etc are adding 10% or whatever amount they’re adding and selling it as a $20 cream.

At least L’Occitane’s product is mainly shea butter – http://www.amazon.com/LOccitane-Pure-Shea-Butter-5-2/dp/B003SQPYLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391114610&sr=8-1&keywords=l%27occitane+shea+butter#moreAboutThisProduct

But at $40 per 5oz, that’s $120/lb! LOL

SOAK

kudos to u! I just love shea butter and planning a branding on it, though already making it available to people with adequate information on it; probably a booklet to go with it. What do u think about shea butter on d face?

Priscilla

NN I lose track of time when am on your blog sha. So informative and interesting. Please when you do get the local olive oil from jos let us know. Also what natural moisturiser will you advise for face. She butter didn’t work for me when I used it sometime ago. Don’t know if it was the type as I got it from the market and can’t vouch for its quality.