Bentonite Clay

I had a few free hours yesterday so I decided to make it a spa day.  Nothing overtly fancy: Bentonite clay treatment for my hair followed by conditioning and sealing, Nature Zone’s facial scrub and body scrub (more on that soon) for my body and Whipped Shea butter to finish.

I had spoken here about how I was going to switch from my Bentonite Shampoo to the clay itself. Well, yesterday was my first day of using the clay.

I set out my tools and ingredients

• 5 heaping tablespoons of Bentonite Clay
  • Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Aloe Vera Gel
  • Plastic bowl and spoon (Do NOT use anything other than plastic to mix your clay)

I put in the apple cider vinegar to lower the pH of the mixture. This is because Bentonite Clay has a pH of about 8-9 which is above our 4.5-5.5 target pH for hair care products. Aloe Vera Gel also has a low pH and helps with our pH problem as well as provides moisturizing benefits.

Bentonite clay SWELLS! A little goes a long way, so don’t be as generous as I was with it. I had enough for my hair, my face, my entire body and I still ended up throwing out some of the mixture because I had some left over. I have a full head of hair so that is saying a lot.

So why am I so taken with Bentonite Clay? Bentonite clay treatments leave my hair feeling softer and really clean. I am also big on multifunctional products so the fact that I can use it on my skin (facial mask and body wrap) as well my hair is a big plus.  Its uses range from internal detoxifier to body wrap to mud bath.

From a more scientific angle, Bentonite clay sucks up oils and toxins and as such is a very effective cleanser/detoxifier. It is able to do this because it has a negative charge while toxins have a positive charge.  Remember the saying that Opposites attract? The negative charge attracts the positive one.  So Bentonite clay attracts all these toxins and oils to itself and holds on to them tight so that when it is washed off, it is washed off with its load of toxins and oils.

There are those that  ingest Bentonite clay and that is because it allegedly is not absorbed by the body but gets moved out along with waste dragging along with it as many toxins as it can hold on to. Thanks to its swelling ability, that is usually a lot. Please contact a specialist if you want to use Bentonite clay for this.

By the time I was done last night, my hair, face and body felt amazing. I should do this more often.

And yes, before you all start asking, it is available in Nigeria. You can purchase here: http://naturalnigerian.com/product/natural-nigerian-bentonite-clay/

Pretty much the same as for the hair. For the skin it removes impurites and excess oil (which may mean that those with dry skin shouldn’t use it). It is also purpoted to tighten skin pores.

mikki

ohh wow.. wish you posted a picture of the mixtures… I’m my curiosity is peaking… I had mud facial a few weeks ago.. but I doubt the entire product was organic/natural…
My face felt refreshed none the less #Sigh

sahara

I bought this from NN and used it yesterday, first time. Awesome, is all I can say. My hair felt like butter, without anything, I just used it on dirty wet hair, and rinsed it out, and I had this just shamppooed and deep conditioned feeling hair, all I did was leave in and seal and Go. I couldnt keep my fingers out of my hair. Thanks NN. You are just the best.

Aww, thanks girl! I am glad someone else has experienced the wonder that is Bentonite Clay. I have been made to understand that Rhassoul is better. I am going to try that next.

Nzu is also a type of clay that is especially high in calcium and as such is consumed by pregnant women in the village. My sister says that if is obtained near rivers. It is available even in Lagos Markets. Bentonite Is a volcanic ash by-product.

Tokunbo

Hi NN, I finally got round to using the clay I won at the Meet-up! I decided to emulate your spa nite. I only had aloe vera gel though and was a bit freaked out as I was applying it as it made  hair look like it would have done if I had being applying a relaxer! Initially I had planned to wrap it up with cling film for a deep conditioner as I normally do when using rhassoul clay but changed my mind as didn’t want it to straighten my hair! Applied the rest to my face and skin and the result was definitely great! My face especially loved it! My curls also looked more defined afterwards! Its definitely one to add to my staple homemade conditioners but I still prefer rhassoul clay though!

Yay! I am glad that you liked it (even if you still prefer Rhassoul).It wouldn’t have had a relaxer type effect, if anything with my daughter, I have found that it gives her even tighter curls.

Thanks for the feedback!

princess inameti

ok i get the relaxer effect now that i have used the bentonine clay really feels good on the hair when i apply it it looks likes my hair was a bit straighter n it feels like i am applying relaxer, although it doesnt get that straight, i have it in now this is the 2nd application and i cant wait to try rahossoul clay.

lizzy orji

y’all r speakin swahili! ha ha ha! i ll place ma orders n try it. my hair is 4b front, 4c back. u kw na, ll do anytin 2 loosen ma curls.

esther bassey

Dear NN it’s quite refreshing and educating reading all the comments on bentonite clay. Aside Nzu. What is the local Nigerian name for bentonite clay. Can u also send ur mobile nomba to my box. Thanks…looking forward to hearing from you.

Emeka Thompson

Dear NN,
Thanks for this amazing exposition. I am a research fellow searching for Nigerian bentonite to research on their amazing properties and composition. I will appreciate it if you can tell me locations to get these clays within Nigeria (and also how to order for the ones you’ve got. Thanks.

Hello Emeka, I don’t know where you can get Nigerian Bentonite Clay. However, it is very likely to be in the north. It is not mined for cosmetic use.

The one we carry is not Nigerian. It comes from America. If you would like to order it, please send a mail to orders@naturalnigerian.com.

All the best with your work.

fineladyg

Dear NN, i hear so many posotive things about the bentonite clay treatment..and i really want to try it out.. and i was sooo excited when i found this site..but soo sad when i read that you dont deliver overseas. i live in the netherlands in europe…and its very difficult to find here.. maybe you know any suggestions where i can find it closer to home..
thanks in advance..
dear wendy

lil

Hello NN
pls I have a question:
Do you know the english name of that clay that is always found in building sands? That one that kids and adults lick…its kind of ”ashy” in color and has a salty taste. I remember my grandma licks it for her ulcer . Do you know if that is Bentonite?
I think it is called ”Nsu” or ”Ntu”….Na woo, I can’t even really remember the local name ..chai :(

No be only you. I had to consult with my mum. She said that it is called Atakere where she is from (Aguata, Anambra). My father’s people call it something else.

Pregnant women take it a lot because it is supposedly rich in calcium.

I have no idea what the English name is.

lil

lol…I won’t be surprised if that overlooked clay is another ”magic product” for our hair :-)

Nganwuchu, Geoffrey

A lot of works need be done on Nzu for its psycho-religio and social importance. In Igboland it is presented with kola-nut to visitors. It is a religious reflection of traditional Igbo goodwill. It also is a symbol of happiness and joy expressed by a host. i never know it is used for hair medication.

nj

hi, I know this post has been up for a while, but i’m just coming across it. When the bentonite clay is mixed with ACV does it sort of balance it out. I know Bentonite clay is more alkaline, has a PH of about 8.3-9.1 and ACV is acidic and has PH around 3.5 or so. So do they balance each other out? LIke when Baking soda and vinegar mix it becomes neutral. LOL.. im sorry so long winded.

Hello Nj, It doesn’t balance it out in terms of making it neutral. It makes it less alkaline. I have not tested the pH before but I do not believe that it will drop the pH as low as the pH of ACV either. The best thing to do is to carry out the tests. Unfortunately can’t do so today as I am about to leave for the airport and will be gone for 2 weeks. I will try to remember to do so when I return.

Mariam James

I am not impressed with this product. 1. It does not swell and had no effect on my skin even Nzu heals rashes. Has a rubber texture and made my daughter hair very dry. Is this really bentonite clay or fuller earth?

Hey Mariam, As far as I know there are no scientific claims that Bentonite Clay will heal rashes – I will have to check to confirm either way. However, I also know that you have also just had this product for about 2 weeks. Nothing works that fast. Also, did you deep condition your daughter’s hair afterwards?

Stella

Dear NN,
Is it the same clay thats used for detox? if yes how much is it?

Erowo

NN, do you deliver ur products in edo and delta state?are there any delivery stores in any of these states?