My Hair - I guess you can call this a twist-out

I totally forgot to give an update on my Kinky twist adventure. I had the twists in for about 5 weeks and when I took them out, my hair was still healthy and full. I did not observe any serious breakage – just normal shedding. It was not dry because I had taken the time to moisturize/condition and seal just like I said I would in this post.

Taking out the kinky twists was done over several days, thanks to my work schedule. I took out each twist carefully. When I had 3 or 4 twists undone, I detangled them as a group. To detangle, I coated my hand with either conditioner or coconut oil  and ran my hair over the entire length of hair loosening any tangles I encountered. The hair was hardly tangled anyway so the detangling part was easy. By the time I took out the last kinky twist, my hair was about 95% detangled which was great! I washed with Bentonite clay and followed that with a deep conditioner.

I was so impressed by the results that this has now become my official protective style. I probably will have this on most of next year – giving my hair a rest and allowing it to grow optimally.

Adura

I washed my braids once a week… I’ve had them in for 7 weeks and will take them out next week. I think they’ll be my protective style for 2012. I haven’t tried kinky twists yet, maybe I will sometime next year.

African Naturalista

Uhmn. This post is coming at the roght time for me. I am planning on wearing kinky braids on friday. This will be my first time braiding ever since I let my natural hair out.

I think I drove by your side on saturday. I kept looking into the vehicle to see if the person will notice. Did you, by chance drive on the road leading from Alausa axis to /ketu/ogudu side i.e as if you are entering lagos from ibadan, on saturday?

I think you are right about driving next to me. I was definitely on that road on Saturday. It would have been so cool to have seen you too.

Let us know what your experience is with the Kinky twists.

aloted

wow! see hair!

good one!

i am currently on a braid/kinky twist fast till 2nd quarter of next year to allow my edges rest. Been doing other forms of protective styling with my hair lately (buns, tucking my hair in etc) and I also use half wigs sometimes. I am getting more confident with styling my hair. 🙂

Niki

How come you never your prefer to be anonoymous, you never show your face in pictures. I’m not a lesbian but just wondered why.

Hey Niki, I am a really private person. Blogging anonymously is about as far as I can go now. Perhaps that will change later. Also, I have organized/attended 2 meet ups in Lagos, Nigeria so a few readers can pick me out in crowd.

uzy

Wow! nice hair…I am presently on kinky twist,I ve been carrying it since begining of the year and I intend carrying it for 3months.However, I would like to know the kind of products to use on my natural hair.A friend just introduced this to me and I think I love it.

Kokes

This is a wonderful blog and I have had lots of fun reading through your posts. I hope you’ll be able to help me with my problem. I’ve been natural for almost 2 years and have been desperately looking for a protective style that won’t end in disaster. I’ve tried normal braids with wet and wavy hair and synthetic hair and ended up with major breakage at my edges. I’ve tried two strand twists on my own hair but because of the texture of my hair, they never last for more than two weeks and I always have a LOT of shedding afterwards so it doesn’t seem worth it. So I mostly wear my hair loose in an afro or held back with a band. I know that to achieve the kind of growth that I want, I need to find a protective style that will allow me to minimise the constant manipulation of my hair. I would really like to try these kinky twists but I think that part of the problem may be poor twisting methods used by hairdressers who twist too tight, pulling on the hair etc. So to cut a long story short, can you please hook me up with the person who twisted your hair? Thanks a million!

I am so glad that you like the blog.

It may not be a question of what synthetic hair piece you are using, but how it is attached to your head. For example, I closely monitor the sections that the stylist does on the from part of my hair. I do not let them cut it too small so that they do not place a load heavier than the hair can carry on it. Also, I do not let them pick the little hairs around my edges. You know that they will do that if you let them. For me, it is better to have a messier looking style than to sacrifice my hair for the style.

I could give you her number but it will not be very different from the people that you have used in the past. You are still going to have to micromanage my own stylist as I did. I watched like a hawk. So my advise to you is to find one person and “train” that person – until someone pities naturals in Lagos and opens a salon, lol!

Kokes

Thanks for your response. I will follow your advice and see how it goes with the stylist who does the twists on my natural hair. I’m doing a henna treatment tomorrow and will attempt to get them done on Tuesday.

Kokes

No worries there. After my henna treatments, I usually do an all day moisturising deep conditioner treatment. One case of hard post-henna hair was all it took for me to learn my lesson!! Lol

uloaku

hi, hp u get to see dis. i read ur blog and i v decided to transition my hair. issue is, i dnt knw wat to do wit it.i was on low cut for abt 10yrs. i didnt enjoy it, cos i was a student tho, so nuffin serious to do wit it. anyways, we have tough hair in our family, tuk me a longtime to finally get a relaxer dt can relax my hair. so i dnt knw wat to do. i loosened my weave abt 3wks ago, i washed my hair at home and nw, its bin lik dt ever since. i can feel my undergrowth, my hair is really really full. infact so full dt i dnt mind dem picking it anyhow when braiding cos i knw it will grow. i am at a crossroad nw, i jst carry d hair lik dt, m a stay home mom for nw, so i am nt bothered yet. but wat do i do. i dnt want to goo on low cut, mayb jst trim a lot of it. den wat next? i tot abt kinky braids too, i guess dt will work too, but i get bored wif a particular hairstyle. also, i v terrible dandruff, i evn believe it runs in d family. its so bad dt evn wen i jst finish washing, i comb out flakes. i tot too much washing is bad. hw do i wash wen i braid? wont it smell???? pls i need serious help tanks.

Ify

i am 5months transitioning and i have kinky now. have had it in for 3wks though,bad thing i get tired of hair real quickly. i need sometin i can put in and not bother. my hair itches me a hell lot,i wash and condition stil but i dont know. anything to help pls?

I am afraid I didn’t really understand your question. Is it about the itchy scalp or that you want a solution that will allow you to rest from caring from your hair for some time?