This is a neat method for extracting or drawing the quality of herbs into any oils of your choice. You only need two ingredients for this: Your herb (you can use more than one at a time if you like) and some oil. Several oils sold in the market are made from using a part of a plant and an oil. E,g Amla Oil. Amla a.k.a gooseberry is a fruit and on its own doesn’t yield any oil. A decoction (this method involves using heat) is made in order to get Amla oil.

For my herbal infusion, I have chosen to use: Neem leaves and Premium Palm Kernel Oil. Why did I choose these two? Well, Neem has a lot of benefits (anti-fungal, antibacterial, disinfectant, good for maintaining scalp health and addressing scalp issues like itchiness and dandruff and even the symptoms of psoriasis, lice inhibitor, gives hair a nice sheen, can act as an insect repellent -bye bye mosquitoes e.t.c) that I would like to enjoy. Palm Kernel oil because it is cheap and on its own is great for hair and skin. To me, it is comparable to coconut oil.

Prepare a clean glass jar. I used a canning jar.

Neem leaves

Palm Kernel Oil

Put the Neem leaves in the jar.

Fill up the jar with oil. The oil should cover the leaves completely

Close the jar.

Shake like this.

Store in cool, dark place. Keep it there for about 3 weeks, taking it out every 3 days or so to shake the jar as shown above.  At the end of 3 weeks, put your mix through a sieve.  The resulting oil would have extracted the properties of the neem leaves giving you a rich herbal oil infusion which can be used on your skin and hair. A few drops of essential oil will take it to the next level.

I bought some Fenugreek leaves from the Indian shop. I think I should go make a herbal oil infusion with that too…

onyinye

i plan on doin this with dried rosemary and olive oil…meanwhile which indian store do u buy ur stuff from?

I buy from the one at Ilupeju and one at Iponri. There is also one at Adeola odeku (Emjays). Park and Shop on Adeola Odeku also stock some indian herbs.

JHO

Please where in Iponri is this shop. i live around there and would like to get some of these herbs. Thanks

Kator

Very neat indeed! Which is best to use; fresh or dried neem leaves? I have some dried ones. Also I didn’t know you could get Fenugreek leaves! I have lots of the seeds too. Can I use those as well for the infusion? Or I could just go to Emjays! Lol

I would use dried leaves because they are bit more stable – less potential of degeneration/decay. For fenugreek, I bought the dried Methi leaves at the Indian store. Not sure you will be able to get the same effect from the seeds. Perhaps if you were preparing a decoction…

Naija hair can grow

Very helpful post, please I live in Lagos and would love to know the Indian shop you purchase your products for, also feel free to check out my blog, I am relaxed though :)

I buy at the ones in Ilupeju and Iponri. Park and Shop at Adeola odeku also has an aisle for Indian spices plus there is Emjays on Adeola Odeku as well.

Obi

Storage advise needed. How long does it keep? Do I have to store in fridge or just cool dark place like essential oils? Asking because I would like to make multiple (small) containers so I don’t get tired of having same aroma/ scent all the time. I wonder if refridgerating will give it that nice hair pomade consistency … or does that depend in the consistency/ lightness of the oil used?

Hi Obi, if you store in a cool dark place, that is just fine. Remember to separate the oils from the herbs after infusing! The pomade consistency will come due to the “weight” of the oil. Coconut oil for e.g is a heavy oil and will become solid when the temperature drops.

Ideally, you shouldn’t use Fresh herbs. Dried is better so that you run less of a risk of mold growing in your infusion. Also, I would advise that you use a natural vegetable oil rather than baby oil. Olive oil is easy to obtain.

Princess

I’m planning on going into local cosmetic making like lip, hair and body products. I have some questions to ask about shea butter. Does it darken the skin? And again, where can I get essential oil, colorant and beeswax?
If you could email me spacog2002@yahoo.com, I would be most grateful. Princess

Tayo

I jus discovered the local name for Tumeric is Curry and I guess sandalwood is Osun. I discovered both are gud on skin!

ify kalu

Tumeric is different from curry, the only thing similar is the bright yellow colour. you can get Tumeric(which is a single indian herb) from your grocery stores; got mine from park n shop in port harcourt. curry is a seasoning which has Tumeric as one of its ingredients.

Aminah

Hi, I would like to know if using powdered amla and bhringraj in virgin coconut oil with a heating method is good? prior to using ojon, i’ve used coconut oil with results CLOSE (but no cigar) to pure batana oil (which is SO hard to find, and when you do, it’s very expensive). i do know that virgin coconut oil can still retain it’s nutrients with mild heating, and being that i would be using powdered herbs, maybe heating the oil on a VERY low heat (just enough to keep it evenly warm, so it doesn’t become solid) and add my powdered herbs and let it sit for 20-30 mins, then drain and let cool. is this okay? or would it ruin the integrity of not only the oil, but the herbs as well? i would love your input on this, thank you! :)

ihsaan

Hi. I’m just another natural DIY’ er in Naija. This has got me dreaming of infusing dried henna leaves (not powdered) leaves in evoo, that will be totally strenthening. Then add some rosemary essential oil…sweet. Off to do some infusions! Keep it up.

Keziah

Hi! I’m a beautician, however I have a little challenge in the essential oils needed to clear stretch marks in the body completely within a few days suitable for all pregnant women inclusive.
I’m aware peppermint oil,olive oil,sheer butter, and a few others mixed together will do the magic . kindly send me an email fitfabandbeyond@gmail.com with the full recipe herbs for oil infusion suitable for clearing stretch marks.
Also for body firming, I do not have an idea on herbs for this.
Please,give me an email , I need to forward a list of things I need immediately.
Thanks.

Rukayya

Good day,just stumbled on your blog and am totally taken!pls can infuse rosemary leaves in coconut oil/palm kernel oilfor my hair.thanks

Rukayya

Love your blog!can I infuse rosemary leaves in coconut oil or PKO for my hair care?thank you.

ELIZABETH

i am not leaving any replay but want to tell you are doing a great job. i am a resercher on carrier and essential oils, and would love to contribute to your great work.

well done.

regards.

Anurika

I love experimenting with stuffs and I just made an infusion of JBCO,Coconut oil,EVOO,Eucalyptus oil and ground dried rosemary leaves. How do I prevent it from spoiling. And I use rosemary tea as my daily leave in spray.
I love reading your DIY posts; Always make my hands itch to try something new. Thank u

JHO

Emjay’s and Park N shop don’t stock stuff like Amla and Cassia. Does any one have any other suggestions as to where i can get these? thanks

tesola

Pleaseeee! Would also like to know wr d india store is located @ iponri, I’ve asked around but no one seems to know. Please a response would be highly appreciated. Thanks!