I wrote in this post how much my daughter wanted to have long flowy hair like her Caucasian friends’.

I am pleased to provide a positive update on the situation. My daughter not only accepts her hair as being natural, she now loves the texture. Her only wish is that it would grow longer, faster. I can only guarantee that I will do all I can to make it healthy – I should do on a post on how that is going (not as well as I would like, sigh!).

So how did we achieve this change of heart?

• I speak to her constantly about accepting her hair amongst other things. I don’t just dump the information on her. I gently and consistently give her several reasons why SHE is beautiful the way she is.
  • I bought her a DVD (Happy to Be Nappy) which tells stories that  make even an adult stop to think. It helps one accept people and things for what they are. The fact that she watched it over and over and over and over showed that she loved it. By the way, what I loved most about it was that it did not focus on only Natural hair but spoke about other things like how to deal with people poking fun of you, or how a child that is born with dwarfism yearns to be seen as normal too. It was totally worth the money I spent on it.

• I don’t know if this helped, but her Aunts went natural too. Both my sisters BC’d in the last few months.
  • Last, and I suppose most important of all, is that my girl is growing up. She has started accepting that Caucasians and Blacks are different in some ways and will always be.

Toksyk

That’s fantastic! Since we came back to UK I’ve found my daughter making similar remarks showing a preference for Caucasian hair. I will look for that DVD to help her get over it and fall more in love with her hair!

Nwadiogo

I’m so glad she loves her hair now! It is a great thing to be taught to love yourself. The sooner the better! God bless your family

Rhapsody

Oh if that photo is your daughter she is delightfully beautiful. Yeah its a struggle with your children when we live in a world with so much negative messages, institutionally, socially, in the churches with those of us who have internalized the negative stereotypes and continue to knowingly and unknowingly perpetuate it.

I am glad she is embracing. Keep on teaching and bring her into acceptance.

stay blessed.

Actually, I think that that is a picture of a little boy with long hair. LOL! You are right. There is a lot of ‘noise’ and we should do what we can to keep it out, at the very least until a child has matured enough to deal with it.

My door is open! However, I find that so many people underestimate how much knowledge they intuitively come to when they have a child’s life in their hands. You will do just fine. Will get in touch when I am ready.

nkechi

I read your blog quiet educative. My daughter is very light and has fine soft hair i texturized her hair (huuuuge mistake). I have stopped doing that though but now i need more tips on how to take care of her hair naturally. I am going natural too.

I am glad you found it educative. On the Right Hand top corner of this blog, the Hair Category contains several posts I have written about caring for Hair. You may be able to pick up a few more tips there.

lara

hI, I’m trying to get my daughters’ hair to retain length. I however struggle with styling options as I get someone to style their hair, but I’m always torn between the rootsbeing held tight, protective styles and their hair looking good enough for school. kindly advise what styles do u do for your daughter?