A reader left a comment on this post about how an American company (Ojon) based its product line on Palm Oil  because they have discovered that it is really beneficial to hair and skin. My interested was piqued and I wanted to find out more.

I went over to the Ojon website and was a bit confused when I started reading about a “golden elixir” “500 year old tradition”. They described the indigenes of the place where this elixir was made this way: “They all had remarkably healthy, shiny hair.” It made their “skin … radiant, smooth and supple”.

The process for making this elixir was described here and as I read it, I realized what it really was. Apparently, despite recognizing its benefits even Ojon hasn’t named it right. It is Palm Kernel Oil and not Palm Oil.

I have processed Palm Oil from Palm Nuts for my local homemade Ofe Akwu (Palm Nut Soup). I have also had the pleasure of cracking palm kernel nuts (we ate them as a snack) in my grandma’s village house when I was much younger so I know what is what. What Ojon has in its products is not Palm Oil. I have explained the difference before in this post

Reading how they described Palm Kernel oil, making it sound uber exotic highlighted the fact that we really need to sit up and start valuing what we have in this country. Now that Ojon has caught on to the fact that Palm Kernel Oil is really good for hair and skin, the rest of the world will begin to look into it.

That is what happened with Shea Butter. We have had it locally available for eons but at a point started overlooking its importance until foreigners pointed it out to us. Now everyone is back to using Shea Butter and extolling its many benefits.

I have often said that Palm Kernel Oil is similar to Coconut Oil. The Beauty Brains summarizes it as: The fatty acid distribution of oil obtained from palm nuts is very similar to coconut oil and can be used in place of it with virtually no difference in chemistry.

What more can one say? Use Palm Kernel oil in your hair and skin care. You may benefit greatly from it. Also, if you know the guys at Ojon, please let them know that they can get Palm Kernel Oil for cheap in Nigeria. I can even point them to the sources for free. Lord knows our economy needs it!

As my people would say: Wetin dey for Sokoto, e dey for Shokoto. (What we are looking for far away is actually in our backyard).

Just had to mention: We have had Palm Kernel Oil available in the Ahia for months but most folks don’t even ask for it (maybe because of its nutty smell). It is the cheapest oil we have and yet very much overlooked. Hopefully, it won’t be for much longer.

Thank you Ojon!

Tee

I love google.. wanna know why? because it (he, she, it, whatever!lol) led me to your blog yesterday afternoon and I am one happy bunny for it! finding your blog led me to other natural hair blogs in Nigeria (african naturalista, screwy hair);I’ve being going through ALL your posts (still am :) ) and you are just the best! I did the BC on the 20th of October, 2012 and received mixed reactions from friends and colleagues (thats a whole different story on its own) Anyways this is just to say i love your blog and keep up the great work!

Natural Girl

Aww, i remember when Google led me to your blog. Its nearly 2years ago… Keep up the great work NN.

This post, has opened my eyes and heart to our very own Ude Aki. Move over coconut oil….

ify kalu

Today happens to be my own lucky day, i was searching for uses of neem oil on Google and i was directed to this site! on a platter of gold! am still over joyed! Am so happy and cant wait to get delivery of the items i already ordered from ur AHIA ( yeah so soon).
I love natural living joor.

Abiola

Your post made me laugh because when Ojon was launched, I called up my sister to have a good laugh about how the ‘Oyinbo’ people value what we don’t even pay attention to because its ‘local’. I also grew up helping my step-grandmother crack the palm fruit nut to extract the kernel and ate quite a bit in the process. #greatmemories. I make handcrafted body soap with locally sourced oil and PKO sits proudly on my ingredients list!!

Those moments spent in the village were just the best! Just went to your website to check out your soaps. Amazing thing is that PKO is soooo cheap compared to other oils and has even been found to be a healthier option for cooking.

Abiola

Aww…thanks for checking it out. Started blogging about soap only 4 days ago so I won’t go ‘gaga’ :D Soap all over the place. I’m going to give your Rosemary/hair care tip a try by the way (yup, nearly read all your posts here!)…thanks for sharing.

yeva

lool….
i used to spend ages trying to crack open palm kernel in secondary school..
that stuff was everywhereeee…, it was almost like a weed to us

1 mans meat is another mans poison.

Gbhlong

Yay, I’m so glad my comment inspired this ultra cool post.
It’s funny, because the low down on Ojon’s secret ingredient on the hair forums was that it was red palm oil, and as I’ve never tried their products, I had no way to tell anything different.

Red palm oil is still something amazing as a food. I came across info about it’s high levels of vitamin A and an ultra powerful form of Vitamin E, called tocotrienols which are the latest buzz word in antioxidant, cancer fighting health enhancing supplements.

Some english guy even wrote a book about it:

Another interesting article:

♍ƺ

Hello NN, I was around for NITC4 that held at the Omenka gallery. Anyway that’s by the way, I came late and left early so I wasn’t able to speak with you. I’m about to get my hair cut and I want to go natural (it was relaxed previously) but I don’t know anything about really caring for and maintaining one’s hair except for eating healthy. Please I’d like to know the steps I need to take. What things I need to use and all. I would be immensely grateful if you could help me out.

Hi, you can find several topics on hair by clicking on the hair category on the Right Hand Side of the page. If you have any specific questions after going through the posts, please let me know.

Mony

I have question…… My hair is natural and nappy and I don’t know what to use to make my hair soft and curly…… What product can I use? I need help

Geri

I miss cracking palm kernels with my grandma. The fresh ones are the best. As I was reading this post, I kept wondering about the redness and how much of a hassle it would be to deal with, till I realized you were talking about the palm kernel oil, and not palm oil. #slowgeri don’t mind me. Lol. I would really love to try this out one day!

Tomilola

yes i know that product it is called ‘adin’ in my dialect my granny use to make the local soap and palm kernel oil during her life time.Adin has a very strong fragrance that made me not to like it then but but my mother would force us to use it and even drink it for cure of some ailment like constipation etc. Thanks for what you are doing encouraging us to go back to nature,it wise to be nature friendly this day i am fed up all those synthetic products,i am going back to my root ‘nature’

Msichana Mrembo

Hey Natural Nigerian, very interesting blog. Would be very interested in the palm kernel oil sources. Also natural african black soap, shea butter and cocoa butter sources. Want to start a small handmade beauty line here in Nairobi with a group of women. :)

Nina

I could not resist writing this. I went to my hairdresser about 4 years ago and she introduced me to Ojon, there was a rave about it in the salon($55), the Miracle hair oil. I requested for the information leaflet and it was while going through it that I realized it is the same thing as “ude aki”. I was pleasantly surprised and let my hairdresser know that I know the original and I will send for for it. I did and when I received it from Nigeria, did give her some and she has not stopped asking me for more. I have never stopped using it for moisturizing before I wash my hair and also spreading the news. Unfortunately, I was always pressing my hair after i stopped using the creamy crack but I had to transition off of that and have not seen her in a while. So the lesson here, is we should appreciate what we have and trust me we have them ” yafu yafu”

Adina

You have no idea how excited i was to find your blog!! I don’t even remember what it was I typed on google that lead me here but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!!

I finally Found essential oils!!! conisder me a new customer :D!!

I have always loved PKO(Palm Kernel Oil) especially for it’s nutty smell!! I was goin through your market place noting down things I want but can’t find Aloe vera gel? only the juice.

Gettin organic natural ones without fillers or extenders is kinda hard .

ivy

Was cracking up some palm kernel nuts and crunching on them when ℓ̊ decided to browse about the benefits of palm kernel nuts and it lead me straight to ur blog. Golden elixir indeed.pls ℓ̊ have the tree @ the back of my house…come and purchase.

Muanya

Good day, Please I would like to know how much you guys sell PKO(Ude Aki) that is equivalent with 1 large Eva Bottle size and where to locate you…used to mix it with Shea butter before for my skin and it gave wonderful results but i cant find it around again(the one that is brownish black)…Thanks

Sheryl

Thanks for the info about palm kernel oil. Got your blog from Google because I was doing some research on palm kernel oil. We call it in Cameroon as Miyanga oil.

Dumela

I make natural liquid black soap with items shea butter pure natural honey lime native black soap base camwood extract cucumber extract.I am about to create another soap so as I research effect of P.K.O on skin I came across your blog. What the Oyibo wrote about the palm kernel oil is just about what they wright about African black soap online.It should not be a surprise to anyone because God put these natural things for the use of mankind.Those that do not have it in abundance created artificial alternative and made us to abandon the real deal.Today we are back to the original natural things.I am in Nigeria.

Kehinde Ibiyeye-Fakayode

My babies and I have been using palm kernel oil mixed with Shea butter for more than six months now. Although, palm kernel oil has the nutty smell, the smell disappear when you rub it on your body. Both Shea butter and palm kernel oil are readily absorbed through the skin. Nobody has complained of any nutty smell since I have started using it. The smell persist though in the hair maybe because the hair is not endowed with blood supply as the skin .I love the silky feeling on my skin after rubbing my palm kernel plus Shea butter.