Another one of my now famous “hair only” pictures

I shared this on facebook but thought it would be a good idea to do so here as well as a way of transitioning from all the Meet Up posts I have been putting up of recent.

I have had to travel for work and a protective style was a must as I will barely have any time for my hair. Rather than use any ‘attachment’/added hair, I opted to get the box braids done with my hair alone. When I was younger, this style was known as Calabar. I have no idea why. Please share if you do.

In case you are wondering why the tips are not done, it is because braiding all the way to my tips always presents some problem for me when it is time to loosen the braid. I used to do it all the way to the tips before but would lose hair and almost always end up with breakage because the braids would be too tight at the tips. Making it a little loose didn’t help so I now just don’t bother. To protect the tips, I style the hair in a way that allows them to be hidden.

I will wear this style for a week or a little longer and then transition it to a braid out. The fact that I can get two styles in one is a big plus for me.

What is your go-to protective style?

eightyone

oohh NICE! you did this yourself!? it looks sooo neat and even. My braids and even twists always look so wonky and are NEVER even :( I have ZERO patience. So how do you style it? Do you leave it down or hold it up?

Thanks! No, I paid someone to do it. Mine never comes out this neat and I really do not have the 4-6hours it will take to get it done right by myself. Luckily labour is cheap in Nigeria so this did not cost a lot to do. I usually tuck the ends in and hold it up.

Oilygirl

Does anyone have extremely dry coarse hair like I do? What products do you use for daily moisturizing and conditioning.

I transitioned 4 months ago and my hair just sucks up all the moisture from the oils and conditioners. I use castor oil and shea butter for my hair and when I twist my hair (my protective style) I finish it up with coconut oil at the tips. My hair is always wrapped in a satin bonet at home and stylishly covered when going out.

How can I get soft, well moisturized hair?P lease share your different hair routines and products with me.

lil

This could help..have you ever done a deep condition with red palm oil?
I used it in combination with my regular hair conditioner and washed off(with conditioner) after 30 minutes. My hair stayed soft and moisturized for weeks.
You’ll have to heat it up in the microwave. Hope this helps :-D

My hair is dry and coarse, lol. I am just careful about ensuring that most of my products add moisture to my hair. I shampoo with a shampoo bar or clay (bentonite or rhassoul), ensure that I deep condition with each wash, use steam from time to time. During the week, I spray my hair with Aloe Vera Juice (once or twice a week) and seal with an oil or butter. I “keeps” it simple. :)

lil

NN, your hair looks so healthy and long.. it shows a lot of tender loving care has been invested :-). Have you tried raw palm oil?For how long have you been natural :-)

No, but I have tried Palm Kernel Oil (Ude Aki). I am not sure I can handle Palm Oil because of the stains.

I had my last relaxer in December, 2008.

I didn’t know you were on Youtube. Had a good time watching you talk about Dudu Osun vs Black Soap.

lil

Lol..I just started the youtube thing..e no easy oo :-D.Thanks for checking it out.

As for the palm oil..I didnt get stains because the mixture was quite thick. Just 1 tablespoonful palmoil(”microwave heated’) and about 5 tablespoonful thick conditioner.It rinsed out well in the bathtub :-D

Ucheju

After u explained how you use palm oil it didn’t sound gross to me. I may try it on my daughter’s hair. Can it be substituted with olive oil? U think?

lil

Olive oil works great too.I used to do my DC with olive oil and conditioner, but after I tried the palm oil method, I haven’t gone back to adding Olive oil…reasons are, My hair stays moisturized for a longer period and the ends are no longer coarse&rough….my daughter’s hair loves it too :-)

Lisa Justin

nice, long hair. mine is not this long so i use extention to braid but no relaxer

Natural Girl

Very Nice NN, i wear a wig to work ( keeps them happy *rolls eyes*) so i don’t bother paying to get my twist or calabar done. I just make them small enough to appear flat enough under the wig.

I know you are not keen on “length” but have u ever done a length check?
How long is ur hair #justcurious

Lol! @ rolls eyes. I absolutely have no idea just how long it is. I only know that it is longer than it was last year….I know, I know..it is strange.

It is not as though I am not keen on length, I am just not keen on length over healthy hair.

Aghogho

I was wondering how on earth did you braid your hair that neatly by yourself!!! Now it makes sense. My protective hair style during the week is to cornroll my hair or braid it and wear a turban, it’s simple chic and looks fashionable, so it’s a win win situation.

uchey baby

I love that hairrr……………………….Nne that hair is worth more than 10 brazillians jare. My natural hair is really coarse and dense that’s why i went the perm route but now i want to go back to the natural thingy. Please how do I move from this permed hair to the natural one????

First timer on your blog too….yay

Yay! My hair is coarse and dense too. You should look at the other pictures I put up. To transition? Easy. Stop re-touching your new growth. You can choose to chop off your hair but if you are more conservative (like me), you can transition under the cover of braids, weaves and other styles while waiting for your natural hair to reach a certain length before cutting off the permed bits.