I keep getting asked about skin care tips, especially for glowing skin, brighter skin and even….gasp….lighter skin. As we all know, I am not a dermatologist so my knowledge of these things are limited. However, I am fair complexioned and when you are fair complexioned and live in the tropics, it is doubly essential to take extra care of your skin.  Dark complexioned as well, of course.

So I have compiled a few tips to getting clearer skin. Naturally, topical applications can only do so much. To get good results one needs to have a good diet, drink lots of water and stay out of the sun (after 10p.m, there is no more Vitamin D to be had). Exercising is also quite beneficial as the sweat that ensues helps to flush pores.

Here are my tips. The natural ingredients are easy to find in any market/shop around you. You can use limes or lemons. I used limes as lemons can be challenging to find in Nigeria. I have deliberately left to your discretion your choice of moisturizer and sunscreen. Sunscreen is a must by the way, not just because using limes will leave skin photosensitive but also because I consider it good practice.

Try this for at least a month. I hope that you can benefit one way or another but please do not expect any miracles. Your spots will not disappear, for example.  Let me know how it goes.

Click to enlarge

Berry Dakara

I have a citric acid allergy, and get bleeding sores on my lips if I eat/drink anything too acidic (pineapples, oranges, lemon, etc). I don’t know if it would be wise for me to rub the lime/lemon on my face :(

lizzy orji

i ll try it, i only drink it. i make avocado oil my self n i take d ” chaf ” left on d muslin cloth n use it on my skin, cucumber n mango blended together works well on my skin mostly on d dark circles surrounding my eyes, i also use honey n sugar n since am breastfeeding breastmilk is my stable 4 nw.

E.

I tried the tomato thing- after I exfoliated (with a mix of sugar, olive oil and honey)
When I put it on, it stung, but I ignored it, thinking it was part of it.
Monday morning I woke up with a horrible rash all over my face. The rash only started showing signs of clearing today.
I know you’re not a dermatologist, but Is it possible that I could be reacting to the tomato? I know it’s weird but is it possible?

lily

Hi E,
I think I can explain what happened here.
The tomato juice acts as an exfoliator; applying that to your face after exfoliating with sugar must have taken a toll on your skin.
Its best to use one exfoliator at a time, and just moisturize afterwards. I know the tomato is quite good especially for acne/breakouts/oily skin.

This is coming in late but I just came across this blog today.
I thought I should share.

Ella

Hi NN, I really will like to know how to get some essential oils, plz reply ASAP.

Jemimah

Nice site. Glad I stumbled on it. It’s not often you see skin care sites that make much sense to us Nigerians. Do you know where I can get vinegar, lemon/almond oil, rose water…? I’m trying to remove my blackheads+stretch marks.
Better still, what do you suggest.

Jemimah

Better still, what do you suggest.

Ugo Dan-Eneh

How do you use honey to wash the face?
Do you use the whole process at once like Honey, Tomatoes, Lime and Sunscreen.
What is the way to go?