image4064

L-R: 70% Lindt Chocolate, Eggs, Salted Butter, Empty Jars, Bones, Frozen Vegetables.

Since embarking on a natural and healthier lifestyle, I have found that several habits have changed. An important one is how I shop. The most dramatic change would have to be that my shopping trolley is a lot emptier when I shop at the supermarket, and the happiest change is that I spend less making myself ill.

Hardly any biscuits, candies, artificial juice and other non-natural things find their way to my basket. I say hardly because, let us be real, from time to time I will sneak it some things. However, even the things that are snuck in are inherently healthier than they would have been before. An example is chocolate. I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought a Twix or Bounty Bar.

I would rather buy a Lindt excellence bar that is at least 70% dark chocolate. As a matter of fact, I picked these up because my daughter asked for them. I know that most children prefer sweeter chocolate bars, but my daughter has learned to love these ones.

Bones are very important to me. I buy them and boil them for stock. The stock is a base for most of my cooking and helps me achieve tasty meals. At less than N200 a bag, that is a steal. There are also many benefits of using bone marrow stock from cellulite reduction to an all round healthier body.  I may have to get to it in another post.

I buy frozen veggies as they allow me an easy way to instantly upgrade a meal. I put it in everything. Noodles, rice, pasta, beans. If I can boil it, I can vegetalize it (yes, I just made up a word). Frozen vegetables are purportedly about as nutrient rich as fresh vegetables so I always make sure that there is a bag in the freezer.

Now, butter. Hmmm. I do not like eating bread. Even more so since I have just found out that it blocks my pipes (if you know what I mean). However, I have a weakness for butter. So I eat bread to get my butter fix. I only allow myself this 200g pack every other month or so – that is the equivalent of about 12 slices of bread as I pack it on thick. Yes, my weakness.

The glass jars are there because I constantly need containers for my various DIY hobbies. The bigger glass jar now holds moisturizing leave in conditioner for my daughter and I.

So that is it. Please share what you buy with me.

Fadekemi

My shopping list comprise of lots of garlic, ginger & Onions (I can’t cook without these), local chicken (get that from my nearest local market, can’t eat any other type), ofada rice, unripe plantains, pap (ogi or akamu), tomatoes/pepper, ice fish, roasted dry fish, palm oil and water/vegetable leaf. This are my must haves.

Eyiyemi Olivia

Hmmmm bones eh? Thats a new one for me but willing to try. I can get @ any supermarket butchery? I leave on the mainland though so I am crossing fingers :D

grantsmom

pls natural nigeria. i want to place some orders on ur website but cant find my way around ur site

Niki

I await your post on bone marrow for cooking stock. Like yourself I have found that since embraking on a more natural journey in terms of what I put into my body, I have been less ill, infact I haven’t been ill at all since making these dietry changes. My grocery haul now consists of plenty of fruit and vegetables (mainly fresh although I do allow frozen and also dried fruits), wholegrains such as oats for breakfast, teas such as green tea and Rooibos tea, eggs, nuts and seeds, fish and lean meats. Lindt Lindor is my all-time favourite chocolate but I detest dark chocolate, urgh (I tried eating raw cocoa nibs for a time but couldn’t get used to the bitter taste). If I’m going to eat chocolate it has to be milk chocolate but chocolate is an occasional treat for me.

Niki

Oh and lest I forget I’ve recently started drinking Moringa Tea which has numerous health benefits.

Dabs

Nice post, been going the fresh veggies route but they don’t last in the fridge, making me hardly interested in veggies lately might have to try the frozen veggies route!

mom-stop

Nice haul, looks like my shopping basket without the bone marrow though, waiting on your bone marrow post looks like something I’m willing to try.

Niki

Just out of curiosity is brown basmati rice easily available in Nigeria? In my pursuit of a healthier lifestyle I recently tried it and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve tried brown rice but didn’t like it but brown basmati rice is actually quite good and would like to introduce it to my dad who is diabetic

Debby

Pls where can I get organic rooibos tea in Lagos or Abuja?What is the price range.Thanks in advance.