I received a disturbing email a few days ago and just had to share it.

To summarize, a child began vomiting and complaining of a stomach ache and was lucky enough to have vigilant minders and parents who quickly linked it to the Capri Sonne she had been drinking. There was biological matter (most likely mold) in it – black , white and thoroughly disgusting. I need to point out that the parents had done their due diligence by buying a batch that had not expired. In fact, the expiration date was set for June 2014.

I shudder to think of what the outcome would have been if this child had drank more of the juice. She did not even finish an ~6oz pack when she started vomiting.

This is what the juice looked like. Naturally, this is not anything a parent would feed a child if (s)he had seen it.

Tainted by Biological Matter

There are lessons we can all take away from here.

• Give your children juice you prepare yourself. It is healthier and you can whiz up something quickly if you have the right equipment. As a working mum, I know that packet juices are easier but easier is not always really easier, if you know what I mean.
  • If you must drink packet juice or eat anything out of a can, pour it out so that you can see what you are drinking/eating.
  • Move away from processed foods as much as you can. It is still possible to prepare most things from scratch, quickly. The time you would have saved not doing so may not be equated to time spent in hospital due to the associated illnesses that can occur – obesity, hypertension, diabetes. We all know that processed foods have been linked to these and more.
  • Spread this information and get your child’s schools involved too.

To see the original email (which was written by the child’s mother), please keep reading. This story was confirmed to me by someone that knows the child’s mother personally so it is authentic. There are also more pictures if you read more.

“Two Sundays ago, my second child was ill and taken to the hospital for treatment, she stayed home during the week afterwards to properly recover. Last Friday, she asked for one of the packet juice Capri Sonne we had at home purchased from a Major supermarket (please note that this shop has huge customer base so no risk of stock having overstayed). On taking the juice, she started to complain of tummy ache and almost immediately started to vomit without finishing the drink. My nanny took the packet away from her and noticed some black stuff on the straw and proceeded to cut open the packet. Her observation was that the juice appeared whitish with an off look from what the juice should normally look like.

We immediately kept the remaining packets left in the carton away and as soon as I got home from work yesterday, proceeded to cut open all the rest left in the carton, the attached pictures tell the rest of the story. Bottom line for me is are the following:

• with immediate effect no more packet juice for my kids, water and fruits to school is just fine along with their lunch.
  • Checking expiry date is no longer a guarantee of safe food any longer, the carton and each individual packs had June 2014 as the expiry date

Please let us pay more attention to what our kids eat and drink either imported or made in Nigeria, let us send messages to their school either via text message to their class teachers or via their home work diaries to instruct what and what not should be given to our kids in school because this particular drink became a favourite for my kids due to party pack from school etc, because if we don’t things that we don’t normally give to our kids may be shared at school for them to consume.

My daughter is fine now, the vomiting stopped Friday night and we all went back to the hospital for further review the following Saturday. It could have been worse but for God!!!

M. Ajayi”

The rest of the bad Capri-Sonne

Expiration date. Nafdac number. The usual markers of a “safe” product. If you have this batch number, throw it out!!

More information on the carton

Biological Matter

Pack after pack held the same biological matter

Poured into a cup.

If you need tips for giving your child a healthy school lunch, click here

onyinyechi

In addition, it could also be that the caprisonne was fake. So people have to watch out for that as well.

That is indeed a possibility. The manufacturers need to come out and let those that are interested know how to tell the difference between their product and any imitations. I have deliberately not blamed anyone – not Nafdac, not the parents, not the manufacturers and not the supermarket because things could have gone awry anywhere. I am not sure we will ever know what really happened. However as a mother, my patience with anything that can potentially hurt my kid is non-existent and M exhibits this in her own email as well. She also did not blame anyone which shows a lot of maturity, seeing as she could have approached this emotionally.

khadijah

thank GOD the child was saved. And thanks NN for this big information. First it was bobo and now this. Infact all this packet juice i think there should be a ban on them. At the same time am thinking it’d have been imitated.

kenny

anything could be the factor. on the pack it is written that the are no artificial ingredients but i don’t believe it. my son forgot one pack of caprisonne in his rubber made lunch box it exploded inside the lunch box.

Ghem Henry

we also need to pay attention to fake brands as well. the original is made in Germany (Capri sun), this as far as i see isn’t and the name alone is enough to turn me away m(Capri sonne).

Browneyedgirl

OK,

So a few months ago, a FB friend of mine who happens to be a doctor based in the USA, posted an article about Capri-Sun (that’s what it’s labeled as in the US, though I’m not sure if it’s the same company). It was this very mold issue the article was focused on. So, for those who are wondering, it is not just a Nigerian problem. Personally, ever since the scare at my son’s school four years ago (over the same Capri-sonne) it’s been banned from my shopping list. At that time, my son was attending a pre-K in Abuja and one of the kids brought an UNEXPIRED packet of capri-sonne to school which turned out to be full of compacted mold; so much that the child could not suck any liquid out despite his best efforts. Trying to help him, the class teacher slit the packet with a scissors and that’s when they saw the mold. There is something VERY wrong with the packaging process this company is using and they need to go back and handle it instead of trying to kill the stories popping up all over the place. Enough said.

You are right, both drinks (Capri Sun and Capri Sonne) have been reported to be associated with mold. Kraft (Capri-Sun) has issued out statements about it having to do with the lack of artificial preservatives. I think a re-evaluation is called for at a minimum.

There is actually a reason for that. For most packs of juice there are several layers in the packaging. The packaging is supposed to help to preserve it by blocking out light and oxygen. That way juice does not need to be refrigerated prior to consumption.

Casaundra

I’m 37 years old and been drinking Capri-Sun for 30 years and nothing happened to me.

That is fantastic but does not mean that it is true for everyone. The proof is in the pudding. Just google it and see what comes up. Kraft Foods (makers of Capri Sun) have even issued a statement on this matter.

Noelle

This has happened to me in opposite parts of the country a few years apart. I don’t buy it regularly but when the nieces and nephews show up for holidays, I get a carton and this happened in Zaria 2010, I was having some difficulty getting my juice out through the straw, cut it open and saw green mold. I cut open all the remaining packets and 2more had mold in them. In port harcourt in 2011, the same situation. Found 2moldy packs in the carton.In lagos, 2013 same situation. Now I make a point of pouring juice into cups. The kids don’t like it but I got fancy cups that make it more fun than drinking from a plain cup..

cheryl

The easiest solution is to buy juice that comes in clear containers or of course make your own and place in clear containers but still continue to monitor for floaters as all juice can be prone to this…

Alex

this is no juice, caprisonne it is water with an massive amount of sugger and some taste substances.

buy real juice instead, when juice gets old, you’ll get drunk at least 😉

Taiyelolu Egbeyemi

Gosh!!! And i have packs of this capri sonne all over. Honestly the company should pay for their negligence. How many out there have d same issue and making kids fall ill. I hope nafdac n relevant agencies should take up this case especially the civil societies. It has very grave consequences for our chiidren’s well being and as adults its our duty to keep this space safe fir them. M Ajayi has done her bit with pictures n exhibits……