Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ifeume1/naturalnigerian.com/wp-content/themes/nn/header.php:3) in /home/ifeume1/naturalnigerian.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-welcome-message/wp-welcome-message.php on line 371

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/ifeume1/naturalnigerian.com/wp-content/themes/nn/header.php:3) in /home/ifeume1/naturalnigerian.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-welcome-message/wp-welcome-message.php on line 371
Natural Nigerian Bone Broth:Stock

Bones, Celery, Rosemary, Dried Thyme, Carrots, Onions

A few posts ago, I shared my grocery haul (sound ridiculous to say grocery and haul in the same sentence, but moving on…) and promised to share a post on what I use the bones I regularly buy for.

I buy the bones from Shoprite. At N99.99 (way less than a dollar) per kilogram, they are a bargain. Not only for you but also for Shoprite. Have no illusions. These bones have been cleaned off pretty much any beef so you can’t buy these and think it is a cheap way of getting beef.

I typically use the bone broth to cook food. Most savoury meals that require water, I can reasonably substitute with bone broth – beans, jollof rice, soup, even moi-moi. When you use bone stock, you can do away with seasoning cubes and achieve even tastier food. That is enough of a WIN- WIN situation for anyone to get on the bone broth bandwagon (bbb!), but there’s even more.

Beyond tasty food, there are certain benefits that come from consuming Bone Broth. Some people swear that taking a certain amount every day will even go a long way in helping to reduce/eliminate cellulite, aiding digestion and arthritis, keeping skin supple and largely wrinkle free (this comes from the Gluthathione) .

Unfortunately, I could not find any scientific research that supported the anecdotal evidence that I found, but I shall keep looking. There is also a book: Gut and Psychology Syndrome which refers to the many benefits of bone broth, including even for mental health.

I cannot touch upon them all in great detail in one post but here is an overview:

Bones are made up of many many important substances and it is assumed that most of these will be present in some quantity in Bone Broth. We are talking about minerals such as Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Sulfur, Fluoride, Sodium, Potassium. The Cartilage is thought to contain Chrondroitin (very important for Joint health), Collagen and even Hyarulonic Acid (important for skin health) amongst many other things.

Natural Nigerian Bone Broth:Stock Ingredients

Ingredients for my “polite” Bone Broth

I make bone broth in two ways – if I want a “polite” stock that is not as flavourful and spicy as we like it in Nigeria, I throw in celery, carrots, fresh thyme, bay leaves, black pepper and an onion. These are good for dishes that I want a subtle broth taste in. If I want to do things the Nigerian way – especially important if I am cooking our local soups, then curry, thyme, black, bay leaves, dried rosemary, Cameroun black pepper, onion, garlic, ginger e.t.c. are nestled between the bones and cooked until I have a wonderful, rich stock.

Bones Nigerian Stock Broth Natural

Bones with typical Nigerian seasoning…curry, thyme, onions, white pepper, cameroon pepper e.t.c.

Things to note

The goodness of bone broth are not restricted to beef bones alone. You can use the bones of goat, chicken, lamb, turkey. There is bone marrow to be found anywhere there are bones and it is this marrow that we really want in our meals. That said, common sense dictates that fish bones will not yield the same goodness.

To finish, here are some tips:

• To extract the most from your bones, don’t boil. Bring up to the boil and then proceed to cook at a simmer. The longer your cook it for, the more nutrients you will extract.
  • Adding a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar helps in the extraction process.

References:

Shannan MD, Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food

Sekhar RV, Patel SG, Guthikonda AP, Reid M, Balasubramanyam A, Taffet GE, Jahoor F., Deficient synthesis of glutathione underlies oxidative stress in aging and can be corrected by dietary cysteine and glycine supplementation. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.2011;94(3):847-53

Mne

You too have done away with the maggi and the knorr and the royco?! It takes a little getting used to, but anything for my health. Now I am good. I guess I aint going back now. I season my meat with only duros curry powder and I am so used to it now. Just a little training of your taste buds. But wait, why are modern women in this jet age retrogressing? Not many are wise enough. I have chosen to retrogress and I am better off!

onyinyechi

Bia Nne, E makwa ihe o! this is so educative. I too have been weaning myself from those stock cubes and this post has just nudged me to stop completely. I am going to look for bones to simmer, Thank God I have apple cider vinegar.

Mitchell

Where have you been NN? I’ve missed you! Been checking ur blog everyday for d past 2wks. Anyway welcome back. So about this bone broth. So u just stuff d open ends of d bones with all these spices n herbs, cook, throw away d bones after n keep d broth yeah? N u store d broth in ur freezer or smtin? For how long?

I am so sorry. I was getting overwhelmed so I had to step back for a minute. Ah!! Good questions. I am going to have to update the post at this rate. I left a lot out.

Just place your ingredients in the pot with the bones. Cover with water, bring to a boil and then simmer. You can simmer for as long as 24hrs if you like. Most folks usually stop at 4-6hrs. Throw the bones away and keep the broth. I freeze mine and thaw and use as I need it. I imagine if you want to drink it, you would be even more concerned about keeping the nutritional integrity of the bone broth – no point simmering for hours only to subject it to high heat in the microwave.

lizzy orji

Wow! is wat i feel!i still do stock cubes but i will change now n switch to making my own broth.
Lately i bought sm foreign spice dat r natural oregano n cinnamon, i enjoy eating dis spices, i also started cooking my soup with ogiri, i like it.
I would put every effort in place to become a complete natural nigerian.
Storing food in the fridge seems impossible n difficult due to d nature of our power supply in nigeria. Thanx NN u r inspiring.

Thanks Lizzy! You can make the broth, place in ice trays and defrost and use for meals e.t.c. when you need them.

Meals are so much better when we explore spices, herbs e.t.c rather than just seasoning cubes.

Afrodiva Nally

I love bones, the bones of locally reared animals in Ghana!!! But ever since, I moved to Norway, I have developed a phobia for chewing the bones of animals. I dont know why? But great post anyway. I should try this when I come home.

cosmicyoruba

I too noticed the lack of maggi. I cut that out when I’m doing my cleanse diet but keep on other days. I’m not sure I can completely do away with maggi, but I’m reducing other processed spice, anything bought in a bottle or pack, even those pre-packaged curry powders. You can make them yourself (I do xawaash, the Somali spice mix which is basically turmeric, black peppercorns, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves)

Fantastic idea, making your own curry. I should look into that as well. Doing away with Maggi is usually something we need to wean ourselves off. Being that it is a habit that we developed over many years. Not many people can go cold turkey.

Olashile

Hello…been ’bout 8 year since I’ve stopped using seasoning cubes…and I went cold turkey…i learnt from my mum in law….i loved(late now)her cooking and was amazed when I found out she didn’t use the cubes…i didn’t even stop for the health reasons but the tastes I get…i just boil the beef/chicken/turkey with curry,thyme,garlic,ginger and salt and I put the knob on low heat so the broth doesn’t dry up….though to get the perfect ratio for each spice to use took a while to get a tasty dish..but with time I knew how much to use…for my fresh fish soup,I marinade the fish with the above spices before puting in the pot of boiling soup…the only food I don’t use my broth for is beans,moi moi and akara…..i just use plenty onions for these and I blend tiny garlic and ginger to the beans for moi moi/akara,would love to try with though