natural-cure-home-remedies-natural-remedies-lime1

Let’s talk about lime today. A little, cheap fruit that packs a whallop! Now squeeze a bit of the juice into water and you have a simple and affordable way to dramatically improve health.  Use 1-2 limes per glass of water.  Best thing is to drink Lime Water on a daily basis. At the very minimum drink Lime Water 3-4 times a week.

Lime and lemons are largely interchangeable.  Lemons have have slightly more fructose, but still a negligible amount when compared to other fruits.

Limes are loaded with a long list of essential vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and phytonutrients.  In many ways, limes are nature’s version of your daily multivitamin.  And Mother Nature, having countless millennia to hone and perfect her craft, packages these nutrients in a way that is readily used by the body.  In contrast, most of the so-called nutrients in synthetic multivitamins are excreted in urine.

Lime Water is an ally in slowing and even reversing the aging of skin and other organs.  It improves the appearance of skin through mechanisms that unfold deep within the body.  An old adage says “beauty is only skin-deep”.  Well, that is the farthest thing from the truth.  Beautiful, clear skin is generated from within.  That elusive glow-the Holy Grail of cosmetics-can never be achieved by slathering a product on the skin or by exfoliating layers of dead skin cells.  This is an uncomfortable truth for the cosmetics industry.

Let us explore a few ways in which regular consumption of Lime Water will shine forth your inner beauty. However before we get into it, remember that for a good thing to happen in the body it takes time.  There are no magic pills or short cuts.

The Holy Grail of Cosmetics

The appearance of skin is largely determined by the condition of the dermis, which is the deeper layer of skin.  Healthy, glowing skin is a product of two things: 1) well-maintained proteins in the dermal layer and 2) adequate blood flow through the dermal layer.  Structural proteins, such as collagen and elastin, make skin soft, smooth, and flexible.  Blood flow makes skin radiant.  Lime contains various nutrients such vitamin C, magnesium, biotin, and beta carotene that are essential for the maintenance of these proteins.  These nutrients also promote the growth of new blood vessels where needed.

Goodbye acne

Acne is a product of certain hormonal imbalances and too many bad gut bacteria.  Too much testosterone in circulation causes the skin to be oily.  Harmful gut bacteria make the skin more prone to inflammation.  Acne is the marriage of excess oil secretion and pro-inflammatory skin.  Lime water supports liver function, boosting its ability to clear excess testosterone in both males and females.  Lime water promotes the growth of friendly gut bacteria that reduce inflammation.  Please notice, facial washes, pore cleansers, and other do-dads do not help acne.

Watch belly fat melt

Stubborn belly fat that is resistant to dieting and exercise is caused by an excess of certain hormones in circulation.  These hormones are estrogen, insulin, and cortisol.  Lime water optimizes liver function, which is the organ responsible for removing excess hormones from circulation.  As the level of these hormones in circulation normalizes, excess belly fat is not only burned off but redistributed evenly around the body under the skin.

Now, this last bit may sound a bit technical, but hang in there, the knowledge you are about to acquire may change your life!

Sustainable weight loss

Continuous weight gain that leads to overweight or obesity is not always a product of greed or laziness.  Your willpower, New Year resolutions, and such things only cause short term fluctuations in weight.  Long term weight management is not under conscious control.  It is regulated by communications between your fat stores and subconscious brain (hypothalamus).  The key hormone that relays information between both areas is leptin.  Leptin controls appetite and energy expenditure in the body over the long term.  A breakdown in leptin signaling is a necessary condition for continuous weight gain over the long term.  This is without exception. Regular consumption of lime water helps to restore the body’s sensitivity to leptin.  This reduces appetite and increases energy expenditure (i.e. resting metabolic rate).  The central role of leptin is the root cause of why weight-loss products and dieting do not work.   Only the regular consumption of nutrient dense whole foods over an extended period can resolve leptin resistance.

References

SK Schagen, Zampeli VA, Makrantonaki E, and Zouboulis CC. “Discovering the link between nutrition and skin aging. Dermatoendocrinology. 2012: 298-307. Print
Bowe WP, Logan AC. “Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis - back to the future?” Gut Pathogens. 2011. Web
J Daubenmier, Kristeller J, Hecht FM, Maninger N, Kuwata M, Jhaveri K, Lustig RH, Kemeny M, Karan L, and Epel E. “Mindfulness Intervention for Stress Eating to Reduce Cortisol and Abdominal Fat among Overweight and Obese Women: An Exploratory Randomized Controlled Study”. Journal of Obesity. 2010. Web
MG Myers , Leibel RL, Seeley RJ, and Schwartz MW. “Obesity and leptin resistance: distinguishing cause from effect”. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2010. Web

Ezenwa Onwugbenu is a nutritional healer and public speaker on natural health matters. You can find out more about him and his passion for natural health and living on Creative Juices

cosmicyoruba

I’ve made a habit of taking a glass of lime water (I add grated ginger to it) every morning for the past couple of months. I went on a cleanse diet around November iirc and picked the habit from there. I won’t lie, I haven’t seen any marked improvement on my skin especially recently. Then again that may be due to changes in the weather.

'Nifesimi

Nigerians usually say that lime is bad for single ladies that are yet to have babies. How true is this?

May

It’s actually true. Not only Nigerians, even my Caribbean friends say so. It’s very acidic and citrusy, that’s why I like it, Lol. However, My Doctor told me it can be used as Natural contraceptive, I don’t know how, but a lot of nurses have told me the same. My Mom has also told me to take it in moderation or not take it at all. I guess we have to be careful and research before trying out different things.

'Noni

Hmm, okay. Who would have thought? A question though, Is lime water safe for pregnant women?

Ezenwa Onwugbenu

Greetings cosmicyoruba, I love the fact that you add grated ginger to lime water. There are numerous synergies between both. I would suggest you hang in there. The skin is composed of several layers. The epidermis is the rapidly regenerating layer. You get a whole new epidermis between 30 to 50 days (the process slows down with age). However, the dermis, the deeper layer of skin, turns over at a much slower pace. This deeper layer is where wrinkles, sagging skin, and visible scars unfold.
In addition, it is important to recognize the things that damage the dermis. One important process is glycation. Which is where sugar molecules in blood circulation break down into highly reactive products. These toxins interact with proteins in the dermis such as collagen and elastin, irreversibly damaging them. Refined sugars like table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are major drivers of premature aging. Many processed foods are loaded not only with refined sugars, but with the toxic breakdown products of sugar! A recent study found that soft drinks contain huge amounts of methylglyoxal, one such toxin.

Ezenwa Onwugbenu

Greetings Nifesimi, I have heard a similar thing on numerous occasions. However, it is based on a misunderstanding. Limes/lemons have a sour, acidic taste because of their high citric acid content. In fact, limes are about 8% citric acid by weight. However, people wrongly assume that an “acidic” taste must imply the “corrosion” of sensitive structures in the body, like the womb, ovaries, fallopian tubes, or sperm in male testes.
However, all this comes from a lack of understanding of the biochemistry of citric acid in the human body. Citric acid has three known fates: 1) it is excreted in urine 2) it is absorbed by cells and used for energy generation in the Citric Acid Cycle 3) it mops of harmful oxidants in circulation due to its antioxidants properties. In short, citric acid boosts energy levels and helps the body burn fat.
The acid I would be concerned with for young ladies is uric acid. Uric acid wreaks havoc with the various sex hormones that keep a young woman fertile. A major source of uric acid is excess sugar consumption.

Ezenwa Onwugbenu

Greetings Noni, it is perfectly safe to consume lime water during pregnancy. The acidic taste of lime makes people think it has corrosive effects in the body. However, this is far from the truth. The citric acid in lime that gives it that sour, acidic taste is actually an antioxidant nutrient that boosts energy levels.
Also, bear in mind that during pregnancy a woman has a very high need for several nutrients. Take for example the B vitamin folate that is crucial for the baby’s developing brain. Lime is a rich source of this vitamin and more importantly it is in a BIO-AVAILABLE form. The folic acid supplements pregnant women take are a waste, as it just ends up in their urine. Just ask anyone who has ever taken folic acid (or an synthetic multivitamin) how their urine smelled? Exactly like the folic acid (or multivitamin) tablet. Why? Because the body cannot recognize these petrochemical pseudo-nutrients and the kidney rapidly removes it from blood circulation to restore order in the body. And so it goes.

Tinuks

Great write-up :)
I have been taking lime everyday now for about five weeks now, and my acne has been gradually reducing

AB

Thanks Ezenwa & NN!
I’ve had lemon water for a week straight, but with half a lemon every morning.
I think I’ll up my dose to 1 or 2 as suggested!

Rest

I have been taking lemon water for a while now and i realised that it increases metabolism . If u feel constipated, just squeeze half a lemon or one to a glass of warm water and in few mins, ur bowels will move. Lemon water also removes belly fat. I can testify to that.

Becky Reynolds

I was just wondering about the lime water I was drinking on whether it was beneficial for my diabetes or harmful & full of fructose. After reading this article I am delighted to know that it is beneficial. I too have noticed that my appetite has diminished & I do not eat as much which is good for diabetics. I did not know this until today after reading this article. Encouraging!

dunniee

Hello natural Nigerian.

Please where can I get raw goats milk to purchase? I need it urgently for health reasons.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you so much.