“Our aging skin is the target of billions of dollars worth of marketing, the object of a continual stream of cosmetics, drugs and ‘nutraceuticals’ promising to deliver age-defying results. But what really works? What does the scientific evidence say?”
There is plenty of research that indicates that the skin aging process can be slowed and even reversed. In fact, there are over 150 natural substances with demonstrable anti-aging properties. Aloe vera gel is one of the most compelling and works from the inside out. Put simply, regular consumption of aloe vera gel works wonders because it gets to the heart of the matter. You see, there is an inconvenient truth that the cosmetics industry does not want you to know. Namely, skin aging is a whole body process. The appearance of your skin is a reflection of the condition of internal organs. Let me explain. The basic building blocks of skin are the proteins collagen and elastin. These same structural proteins also form the scaffolding of internal organs. So, seemingly diverse organs like your skin, bones, and lungs are built from similar raw materials. And in order to have youthful skin you need well maintained structural proteins. It is not possible to have good proteins in your skin and junk elsewhere. As the body goes, the skin goes as well. This implies that most cosmetics are a waste of time and money. They seek to hydrate, moisturize, and rejuvenate the skin. And therein lays the basic problem. Products that only care for the skin, by definition cannot penetrate the skin aging process. More so, conventional cosmetics, laden with petrochemicals, are a major toxic exposure.
How does aloe vera gel work its magic? The appearance of skin proceeds from a complex interplay of variables. To name a few:
- Tissue oxygenation: lungs need to provide sufficient oxygen to enable skin maintenance.
- Nutrient supply: blood vessels need to supply adequate nutrients to facilitate skin repair.
- Waste disposal: lymphatic vessels need to drain wastes and excess water away to prevent toxicity and fluid retention.
- Hormone clearance: liver needs to eliminate excess hormones and other substances in circulation.
- Stress management: brain needs to send the right sort of nerve signals to skin cells to enable their repair (i.e. parasympathetic).
And the list goes on and on. All this connectedness really makes one thing clear: anti-aging is really the same thing as improving overall health. That is, aloe vera gel reverses skin aging because it improves overall health. You see, aloe vera gel is a very complex substance. It contains thousands of bioactive compounds that positively impact human health. Not surprisingly, aloe vera gel has numerous evidence-based therapeutic applications: type 2 diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, bacterial infections, yeast infections (Candida), breast cancer, multiple sclerosis, leukemia, arthritis, colon cancer, fibroid, eczema, among others. Three simple steps for reversing skin aging
- Stop using conventional cosmetic products. Only apply on your skin what you can eat: coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, Shea butter, cocoa butter, and the like.
- Minimize intake of highly processed foods. Some of the worst offenders are soft drinks, sausage roll, milk drinks, white bread, instant noodles, biscuit, vegetable oil (fried foods), canned foods, and flavor cubes.
- Drink lime water daily (add fresh aloe vera gel for best results).
Soyun Cho, S Lee, M Lee, DH Lee, CH Won, SM Kim, JH Chung. “Dietary Aloe Vera Supplementation Improves Facial Wrinkles and Elasticity and It Increases the Type I Procollagen Gene Expression in Human Skin in vivo”. Annals of Dermatology. 2009. Web
Ji, Sayer. (2012, June 18). Research: A tsp of Aloe Daily Reverses Signs of Skin Aging. Retrieved from http: //www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/research-tsp-aloe-daily-reverses-signs-skin-aging
Ezenwa Onwugbenu is a nutritional healer and public speaker on natural health matters. You can find out more about him and his passion for natural health and living on Creative Juices.