moisturizing african black soap

One of our indigenous Nigerian products that seems to be getting a lot of face time is the humble black soap. Actually, this is something that is used in many many African countries although the recipes differ from country to country and even state to state within a country. I can tell you that the Igbo black soap is nothing like the Yoruba one. There is a distinct difference between the two from the feel to the smell. All the same, African Black Soap has several similarities.

For many years, my family and I have used to Black Soap wash ourselves from hair to toe. My mother would buy a black soap base from Cotonou where she used to travel for business and then mix in the things she wanted in a big bowl. That bowl of soap would last our family of 8 (yes, 6 children) at least 3 months. I told you it was a big bowl :). Also, black soap lathers exceptionally well so a little goes a loooooooooong way!

You can adapt black soap to be whatever you want it to be. Anything. A cleanser. A moisturizing cleanser. A brightening cleanser. A hair clarifier. An aromatherapeutic cleanser. A mix of one or more of these. The limits are only determined by your imagination.

In the Ahia, we started offering a raw black soap base made from Cocoa Pod Ash and Shea Butter.  It is the perfect base to start off with because it contains gobs of Shea Butter and does not leave skin or hair dry. Also, it does not require any grating. Ladies, biko leave the grater alone and start with something that is easier to manipulate.

Like I  said what you can do with Black Soap is almost limitless. Today, I will share a recipe for an aromatherapeutic moisturizing black soap which you can make easily.

I did not measure anything here so please use quantities that you feel comfortable with until you find something that works for you. It really is not difficult.

Lay out your ingredients. In this picture below, you see that I have Aloe Vera Juice, Hemp Seed Oil and an assortment of essential oils. Not pictured is the preservative I used. I used Optiphen Plus. Why? Once you add anything that is water based (in this case Aloe Vera Juice) in a cosmetic mixture, you MUST add a preservative. I have spoken about the importance of preservatives here.

UPDATE ON PRESERVATIVES: Please disregard this call for a preservative. Black soap is so alkaline (pH) that none of the nasties can survive. And in a a lot of cases, the preservative is deactivated if the pH is too high. However, if you feel better about it, go on and add it.

Also, I do not usually use any oil in my black soap recipe, preferring instead to use it as is because the base I use is not drying. However these bases differ from maker to maker and you might find that the one you have is slightly drying. If that is the case, go ahead and add a bit of oil.

Natural Nigeria African Black Soap Ingredients

Just wanted to mention that I used hand filleted Aloe Vera Gel, taking advantage of my Dad’s supply of Aloe Vera Plants. If you do not have this easily available, you can use bottled Aloe Vera Juice.

Aloe Vera for African Black Soap Nigeria

Start with your base.

African Black Soap Base Granules Nigeria

Pour in your Aloe Vera Juice, several drops of Essential Oils – I like Tea Tree Essential oil, Lavender Essential oil and Eucalyptus Essential Oil. This mix not only smells good, the Eucalyptus opens up your respiratory system and clears it. The tea tree Essential Oil has anti-bacterial, -fungal, -viral and many more benefits that help rid skin of any of these issues.

African Black Soap Nigeria

Mix and store for a few days or weeks before using. Soap “cures”. The longer you let it be, the longer it cures and the better a soap it is.

African Black Soap mixed Natural Nigeria

Please let me know how you get on!

Nne Kamsi

This is too good. Thanks so much for sharing. How do I get the base in Glasgow UK? This will definitely complete my natural healthy journey to unpolluted self with chemicals….well, this and if I can get natural deodorant

Thelma

Hi, thanks a lot. It’s difficult getting the preservative.any other option? We could talk via email I’d like to share a mixture I’m looking forward to with you so u can get your input.

Anurika

This is going to my next project. Please is the Preservative (Optiphen plus) gotten from a Pharmacy or a Cosmetics Shop?

Toyin Bayagbon

This I can try, but I don’t have the essential oils you used. Also, if appreciate it if you can share the recipe for the skin brightening mixture. I unfortunately suffered sun burn recently…

Toyin, I would like to address why you got sun burn in the first place. I am assuming here, so please correct me if I am wrong – You probably used something of a skin brightening/toning/bleaching nature during the day or night and did not follow by using SPF during the day. You should figure out what is causing the phototoxicity and either cut it out completely or use it only at night, making sure to use high SPF cream the following morning.

We sell the skin brightening/exfoliating black soap in our Ahia and as such I will be unable to share the recipe but I hope the advise above helps.

Hi, it is a cream that contains sunscreens. SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. It is a measure of how much protection you gain by using a particular cream. Some are 5, 10, 15 e.t.c The highest I have ever seen is 50.

Oluwakemi

Thanks so much, m really grateful. can I get it sold to me in any store?

Tomi

The possibilities with black soap are limited only by your imagination. It truly is amazing stuff. Thank you for sharing NN

cosmicyoruba

I’m really curious to know the differences between the kinds of black soap. Can I make Yoruba black soap with this? Or will the difference be made if I added osun (camwood)

Hello CosmicYoruba! The difference is in the making of the black soap itself. What we are doing is simply adding additives to the already made base. The Igbo one smells distinctly different because it is typically made with palm oil (actually a by product from the palm oil manufacturing process). The one we sell in our Ahia is made purely from Cocoa Pod Ash and Shea Butter and does not have that smell.

moni

During the curing process, do you leave it uncovered or covered? I just mixed mine tonight with your raw black soap base so im excited.

Laide

Thk u for sharing this tips with us,I do add lemon juice,a little bit of coconut oil & honey to my own, & very nice on my skin,pls what’s ur opinion about it? Thks

Adebayo

hi NN,
the base u have dere, is it just the juice from aleo versa plant or u add sthg else to it?

Adebayo

hi NN,
the base u have dere, is it just the juice from aloe vera plant or u add sthg else to it?

dilly

NN – I want to make my own AFRICAN soap oh!
I can easily make normal onyibo-type soap from scratch (GCSE Chemistry Home lab in action) but I need potash to make African soap.
Ashes ashes – palm tree/any tree; cocoa/shea pods ; plantain skins …Any ashes I don’t mind!

there is a market for potash here oh! Nne how we go take do am?

christabel

Procastination will nt kill mi oo NN.biko aw do I purchase frm ur ahia wifout aving to pay in the bank..like can I buy face to face?.I base in abj. Tnks.

omolara M.

nnigerian you are the best, had to visit your website when i saw this on your instagram page. anyways just to want to know , can i add these ingredient to the black soap ( lemon juice,honey,essential oil and aloe vera juice) . thanks and God bless.
hope your beeswax will be available at the meet up on Saturday?

Hi, those ingredients sound good but remember that you need a preservative because of the Aloe Vera Juice and the Lemon Juice. Beeswax will indeed be available on Saturday! See you there!

lami

Pls NN-am in the process of transitioning for the past 3mnt.the question is that can the black soap stand as my shampoo and the egg DC stand as my conditioner and am I to apply the conditonal immediately after the shampoo?thanx 4 ur good response

Priscilla

Hi. Please I’m also considering transitioning. What should I be looking for in conditioners and do I need leave in conditioners?

Hi Priscilla, you will most definitely need Leave-In conditioners. Conditioners are a rather broad subject. I would advice that you look for a moisturizing as well as a protein conditioner. The protein conditioner should be used at least once every 6 weeks. The moisturizing one, after every shampoo day. Hope this helps!

Priscilla

Also you talked about sunscreen. Most contain harmful chemicals so which would you suggest that is more natural and less of the harmful chemicals

Ifye

Hi NN, thank you for all your advice and tips.. I need to purchase from your Ahia, but I would like to do it face to face. Am based on Lagos mainland. And also what natural stuff can I use to even out my facial complexion?. Awaiting your response eagerly

Ifye

Hi NN, thanks for the reply. I just checked out your site this week..wish I did earlier, wouldn’t have missed that meet up. Anyways, I just had my ‘big chop’ and I have always had issues with my edges (my front hairline). Pls what essential oils would you recommend for my hair?. And also can the black soap from your Ahia even out my face complexion.?. And is it pay on delivery when I purchase from your Ahia? ? Sorry for the plenty questions. Thanks again

We are actually vending at Lost in Lagos this weekend. Last day is today at Federal Palace Hotel. I would recommend Rosemary and Peppermint Essential Oils, as long as you are not hypertensive or pregnant. We don’t feel comfortable making claims about the products in our Ahia as we are a believer that products only compliment your lifestyle. We do not accept payment on delivery right now, unfortunately.

'Niike

I purchased the black soap awhile back, I’ve to mention first that my facial skin is very sensitive!
So I bought the black soap for exclusive use on my face to clear all the’ jagbajantis’ , it cleared ooo, yeah it did! But the thing is that I started feeling my facial skin itch and with it came more irritation. Had to discontinue the usage, what do u think NN?

Our Black soap contain only two ingredients: Shea Butter and Cocoa Pod Ash. I can’t imagine that anyone would react to any of these two things. However, since you say that your face is really sensitive, you should definitely not continue. Did you change anything else regarding your skin care during that time?

jossie

NN…nice to be here reading dis, it’s no regret for me. but I really wanna know what d preservative is…plz if u don’t mind.

Angel

Waooooh!How wil i decribe d height of my joy bumping into dis whole beauty,natural site?Am extremly excited nd impressd for ur teachgs nd open mindedness in answerg peoples question.Nnem idi complete.My dear,am pregnant nd wil com dw in few weeks.Pregnancy changd my look so much,very ugly now.Pls com for my rescue nd tel me wat to do immdtly i put to bed to con bak to my normal self.My front hair has finishd,my face so so dark evnthough am dark naturaly but not too dark lik dis.how do i brightn up naturally.stretchmarks on my tommy much of it.wrinkles on my face.pls i have oil skin nd a very soft skin dat flakes.Very gratful to hear from u.pls com for my rescue biko.thx my dear.my email is princeonyii56@gmail.com i base in PH.

Angel

jossie

NN, thank you very much, I got my essential oils at ebeano chevron like u said. I didn’t get hemp seed oil so am wondering if rosemary, grape seed, lavender, avocado and lemon oil will do.

Stumbled on your site for the first time. Very nice of you and. I mixed Yoruba black soap with honey, sulphur, orange peels, egg, lemon Camwood and Somiroro and it looks nice on my family's skin

I stumbled on your site for the first time. I found it interesting. I mixed Yoruba black soap with honey. Eggs sulphur .orange peels Shea butter coconut oil Kojic Tumeric and Camwood and Somiroro. This is look nice on our skin

sam

nice job,im so xcited dat finaly iv found the site iv been looking for.so how do i subscribe to be a chat member and make my own contribution…for those who wanna know clove is called mansorro in hausa language.easy 2 get in the north for as low as N10

Nwakaego

How can i get preservatives to add to mg black soap? I mixed lemon, honey, carrot oil in my black soap and i have been using it since last 2 weeks. U have a tough skin that hardly tones .

val

Nice one NN…I live in Ph. If I order online, do I also pay online and how long does delivery take. thanks

val

Hi NN, I have being checking on your Ahia store to purchase the black soap base…it has been unavailable for a while now…when are you restocking? I do need it as soon as possible. Thanks

helen

Gudday ma,pls av check for preservative bt can’t get it arnd.i mix my black soap wit honey.lemon,egg white and coconut oil. Ma witout d preservative can I use it Dat way.

adodoade

I tried it and it came out nice and ur products are wonderful,but pls how can I turn it into bar soap?tank u.

Remmy

Waoh, nice to read all d comments. Love it, on my own i just decided to start d use of black soap+lemon juice+honey+oshun just to go naturally even tone. Pls am i on right part. Which oil can i add to moistorize. Pls help a sister. Tnx

Elsie

Wow thanks a lot maam, I have always been a fan of black soap I don’t mix my self I usually buy the already mixed one. Pls ma kindly tell me what and what to mix cause am light skinned. Thanks a lot

braide favour

I need to speak with u on how to learn and I also want to buy products here is my mobile no 002348032721482 .my name is favour thks
Regards
Favour

Ronke

Hello NN, thanks a lot for this .. I have just made a second batch of soap for personal use .. Please can you provide a guide for ratio of soap base to liquid (how many cups of soap to how many cups oils/AVJ)? this is where i lose confidence in my preparation.

Thank you and weldone!

Ibukun

Nice one NN, please i’ll like to know where the cocoa pod ash can be purchased from and can you please help with a step by step procedure on how to make the soap. I wont mind an email :-). thanks

Nneka

Hi, so i usually whip a batch of shea butter with some other oils for my hair and i recently decided to try adding fresh aloe vera juice to it. I didn’t use a preservative because i have an old mix that is still ok but i recently learnt i need to use a preservative. Please what amount of optiphen plus would be required for about 500g mix of aloe vera and shea butter so its safe to keep.

ronke

Just came across dis site and I love, though av not mixed mine, pls. What do u use in measuring in regards to. D ratio aspect of the preservative(optiphen plus) can I also use Vit. E oil as my preservative instead? And where can I get dis Camwood(osun)? Thanks

omolara

Hi NN, pls when wud d black soap base be available. Tried ordering bt saw on the post out of stock.

ijeomaonotu

I know this is am old post but in the traditional way of making black soap, the base and the oil is mixed in water and boiled till thick before it is den set aside to cure. Ur process skips the boiling step, u mix the liquids to the base and leave it to cure. Doesnt the boiling step add something to the end result? Secondly traditional black soap lacks preservative but it doesnt go rancid, so why is it neccessary now?

Hello Ijeoma,

Thanks for the comment. The boiling and setting is for making black soap the traditional way. I have skipped that because I used black soap that is already made. I did not make the black soap from scratch.

The preservative was added because of the additives. However, over time I have found that black soap pH is so high even with all the additives that the preservative is still not needed. I will update the post to reflect that. Thanks again!

Elara

I’m dying to make this soap but finding the mixture is ridiculously hard!! I was so happy to come across your page but everytime I click on Black soap base it tells me that the page isn’t found 🙁

Doyin

Pls I would like to know where your store is. I would like to know, what to add to the black soap to lighten the skin and what do you call preservatives? By the way, thank you for teaching us, how to mix the black soap.

Doyin

Pls where is your store? I would like to know what to mix with the soap to lighten the skin?

adA

I want to know how make it look smooth.if I can use a hand mixer for it.infact so many questions to ask. what do u add for the lightening black soap?

Olumosu justina

Pls where can i get all d ingredients 4 ds black soap recipe in lagos

Isioma

Pls how and when can I get black soap with lemon and alpha hydroxyl acids cos it says out of stock. I’m based in Abuja. I’m guessing that’s the lightening black soap you’ve mentioned.

Jayeola

Can tumeric be added to black soap, even lemon juice,honey with osun?

Onyinyechi

thanks for the info…please is black soap made with gunpowder? The one I got from the market they said they prepared it with gunpowder.

Joy

Hi,
Love ur website and insightful posts, thanks for sharing ur gift. Pls can I need a nourishing liquid black soap for my kids as the bar melts easily n can be quite messy… do you make such for sale? I’d also love a lightening liquid soap for myself as well cos I have tanned a lot but I’m worried about products dat will make my skin super sun sensitive. Ur speedy response will be much appreciated. Thanks

Wachu

oooooh goody!!!! i loove the way are are harnessing more locally produced goods. i would like if possible for you to explain more on this your statement, “A cleanser. A moisturizing cleanser. A brightening cleanser. A hair clarifier. An aromatherapeutic cleanser. A mix of one or more of these”. the thing is i have never really known the difference of between cleansers, and exfoliators and moisturizers, and so on, and how each individually help the skin…

thanks!!!

Nevs

Morning Hun pls the black soap with lemon and alpha hydroxyl acids is it only available in Abuja as am based in the UK but am in Abuja towards the end of June would I be amble to get it then and what is the cost. Currently I have the liquid black soap am I able to just add pure Lemon juice to it and use it wat do u advise ? I am dark skinned but my problem is I dnt have an even skin tone my face is way darker then my body how can I resolve this also I now have patches of different shades on my body I dnt bleach I use the normal Shea butter , cocoa butter on my skin pls wat am I doing wrong? And can you advise how I can sort this I love my dark skin and want to maintain the colour but with an even colour not different ones. Thanks

Amaka

Hi, I mixed my black soap with turmeric, lemon, carrot, eggwhite and honey. Hope I can use it without preservatives. Tnx

Vivian

I mixed my black soap with lemon juice, lime juice and egg white, the smell was very bad and it stopped forming, is this normal?

POPOOLA ELIZABETH

can i mix honey, dettol with my black soap for bath soap and where can i get those ingredient in nigeria.

Hi Elizabeth, you can buy black soap from our shop. To make it natural, use Neem oil instead of Dettol. Neem oil has disinfectant qualities too.

Akande israel

Your Comment here.may u continue to wax strong 4 life.which of the ingredient can affect the foaming?

oyindamola Salaudeen

thanks for the clue but please can I add peak powder milk to my black soap mixture..thanks once again

Elizabeth

Pls can I add potash(kanwa) and lime juice at the same lime to black soap? If yes what is d effect

jennifer

Hello NN, I absolutely love your products. After reading the posts and your reply to the comment. I got a Lil bit confused. In the post, you said black soap is so acidic that preservative is not really needed. When someone asked if she could add aloe Vera juice and honey. You said yes but she ll need a preservative cuz of the aloe juice. Does that mean it’s not possible to add water to black soap without adding preservative especially if it’s a diy liquid soap? Thanks

Juliet

I use to make my own black soap but stopped because i wasn’t seeing any difference in my complexion (never known i could add a preservative… My recipes are black soap, lemon, olive oil watermelon a the rest i can’t remember names… Anyway am still learning

christie

hi NN, I love ur site. please can I add vit C tads, clove powder, sulfur to my black soap???

Cynthia

Pls can you help me out I really don’t understand.. I need recipe on how to do yoruba black soap n ingredients..

rabiat

hi there,good work i must say but pls just have a question concerning this preservative thing where can one find it?? is in a pharmacy or cosmetic store cause its the preservative that’s holding me back now

Mercy

Your Comment hi pls I want to prepare my own recipes so can I add cucumber juice, carrot juice, lemon juice to the black soap?

omahhh

i happily stumbled on ur site…
i would like to know if i can make liquid soap using the melt and pour method with African black soap as base… with adsitives like coconut milk, lemon juice, alovera and stuff? plus… would i need preservatives?, considering the milk i would add or would d black soap serve as a preservative? and how long would its shelf life be?
i do hope to get a speedy reply

Olalekan Abiola

Pls what kind of chemical can I add to my black soap to make it be like like a shape of normal soap, that I can hold it like deltol

Olalekan Abiola

My soap is always be watery and I can’t use it to cut a desire shape dat I always wanted.

olakunle

hi ,pls can I add lime juice,turmeric and honey to d black soap? and pls will it lightening my skin?

ZAINAB ibrahim

Do u have black soap now ,pls do u prepare ur essential oil and carrier oil by ur self d one i order is look some how

chioma wogu

hello.Good day..i trust you are doing well?please how can i make my black soap as thick as a gel..cos i prefer to use it from a bottle instead of scooping.cos i have tried to just use black soap and a little water and it doesnt come out as thick as i want it to be.it is usually very watery.thank you in anticipation for your reply. God bless

Cynthia

when you are done making your soap and you realize it’s too watery add more soap to thicken.

maryam

Pls can I add potash, honey, Shea Butter, yellow sulphur lime water and tetmasolTo my black soap?

gladys

realy interestin..bt apart frm black soup, wat else can i add to it? is tinx lyk honey, egg white allow?

Chidinma

I added disinfectant liquid to my own mixture but now I’m scared I’ve destroyed the natural ingredients in it with the chemical

Cynthia

I don’t advice you add any disinfectant to your soap, there are natural anti bacterial and anti fungi ingredients you can use.

El

Hi, I found the article very interesting and tried to adapt my black soap. I like it liquid. I added milk too. It was lovely for about a week then it started having this terrible smell. Is milk the cause? Apart from the odious smell it lathers beautifully and so far no reactions. What do I do to stop the smell, please?

okeke joy chinaza

pls I am begging with the name of the Lord Almighty pls reply my comment, I want try something new,by adding cucumber,carrot,pawpaw,lime,lemon,milk,egg,honey and blacksoap, so I don’t know if its ok.t tanks God bless you.

Adukeade

Your Comment here
Hello, Can I mix glycerin and rosewater with black soap?

Cynthia

yes bt don’t add any ingredient that will go badeg milk, egg, carrot, if you are using oil and water stick with it.

Audu

Good day ma’m. Thanks for enlightening us! So after mixing with honey, egg white, lime and coconut oil, you can’t use the soap immediately?

fatima

Pls can I add sulphur only to my black soap because I get pimples all the time…please