My focus for the next few days. #shea2016

A photo posted by Natural Nigerian™🇳🇬 (@naturalnigerian) on

Seeing as I have now changed industry, I was glad to be able to find the time to attend an important conference in my new industry. The Ninth Annual Global Shea Alliance Conference was held in Accra, Ghana from the 21st of March till the 23rd of March, 2016. It was a very educative, enjoyable and insightful few days. I knew that not everyone would have made it there, but there was a lot to gain, so I tried to capture it in pictures, on my Instagram account. If you follow the hashtag #nninghana, you will find all my pictures about the conference and my trip. The highlights for me were:

• The President of Ghana, coming for the conference, by himself (no representative). He was on time – no African time. He was awake through it all. He was able to reel out facts and figures about the Shea Industry. He appeared not to have any prepared speech but spoke eloquently all the same. I was so impressed.

Lunch is served at the conference. #shea2016 #naturalnigerian #shea #sheabutter

A photo posted by Natural Nigerian™🇳🇬 (@naturalnigerian) on

• Meeting so many people, from different countries all over the world, that had one thing or other to do with the Shea value chain.

G O A L S #nninghana #naturalnigerian #shea2016 #shea #sheabutter #tamale #ghana

A photo posted by Natural Nigerian™🇳🇬 (@naturalnigerian) on

• Journey to Tamale, in northern Ghana to see how an EcoCert certified producing plant runs.

• Hearing/Learning first hand what the challenges to the industry are. One can only right what one knows are wrongs. One of these challenges is the traditional belief in some areas that new Shea trees should not be planted. Another is the fair compensation and safety for the women who are in the forefront of picking these nuts and churning out the hand crafted butter.

A bonus, was meeting Madam Fati Paul who has been a Shea Butter supplier to The Body Shop for 22 years. (Click on the picture to watch short video)

I wish I had gotten to see a bit more of the town but what I saw of Tamale and Accra pleased me. In many ways, I think that Africa is a country (at least West Africa) and this was re-emphasized for me in many ways.

I applaud the GSA for a good conference and look forward to attending the next one and the next one.

Nnenna

ooohhhh….I would’ve loved to be part of this.

I’m hoping to visit Tamale in the next few months.

Also, the shade in the lines speaking of the President of Ghana was epic…Loved it!

Jane Agomuoh

Beautiful! I dreamt I came with you for this trip, which is weird, seeing I have never seen your face!

Mofoluwasho

Your point about the women who actually produce the shea butter really struck me. Shea butter is now all the rage. I cannot do without it at home. I use a shea butter mix for myself and a separate one for my baby (no strong essential oils), shea butter and coconut oil a staples at Nigerian hospitals during antenatal classes and even at maternity and baby shops now. Yet the women that do most of the hard work remain poor. I am going to point ,my fingers at the middle men. The people who front for these women, how much do they actually remit to the women. I imagine that they buy from these women at rock bottom rates and then charge the end users especially the foreign beauty conglomerates a high premium without remitting same to the shea butter producing communities. Even if you say it is your “luck” or “great bargaining skills” that got you a good bargain from the communities and from the end users, at least do some CSR. Build schools, hospitals, scholarships, white collar jobs for desiring offspring of these communities, etc. There should be some interest in sustaining these communities because they are the cash cows for these middle men, so they ought to treat them right.

Mofoluwasho, this comment is gold! You are so on point with it. The middle men need to do a bit more for the women. Let’s also note that these middle men are sometimes fellow women. When we speak of building schools e.t.c, they don’t have to be anything fancy. These things can change lives.

xpressions

i was just beginning to wrap my head around the value of shea butter to hair when i read someplace that shea butter ( and coconut oil) mixes are not good for the hair, saying they are two too heavy oils.is this true?….i was actually about to start using these two on my hair

Hello, it is possible that what works for one does not work for the others. I have had no trouble with that mixture. However if you have fine hair, it may be a bit of concern to use Shea Butter. Some people also complain that coconut oil makes hair crunchy. At the end of the day, you must decide what is best for you. The person that wrote that post possibly has fine hair. If you do, heed her advice. If not, approach cautiously.

I will send you an inbox later today. great job you are doing! pls I'll like to know the next time, date and location of the conference. God bless

I will send you a mail later today. You are doing a great job!! God bless