No products in the cart.

Natural hair’s best friend is moisture. As such, I deep condition my daughter’s hair every week. You may already know that I am not terribly comfortable with the ingredients in most store bought products like shampoos and conditioners so I make my own conditioner myself, using a lot of ingredients that can be found in the kitchen.

Some of the benefits of deep conditioning are that it makes hair softer, shinier, more manageable and super moisturized. Depending on what ingredients you use, you may also address specific problems like hair loss, dandruff or an itchy scalp.

Here’s one such deep conditioner that I made. I went over the top (I admit it, lol) with the ingredients but they all had some property that I wanted to draw into my deep conditioner. I made this when I first started making my own “conditioners”. These days, I use less ingredients and keep everything simple. I wanted to use this as an example for this post so that you can see the variety of ingredients that can make up a home made deep conditioner.

I will try and talk about the ingredients one by one.

From L-R: Coconut oil, Vegetable glycerin, Eggs, EVOO, Honey, A clean glass bowl

I seperated the yolk from the white. If you include the white, you will be picking egg out of your hair all week.

Eggs acts as a protein treatment for hair. Your hair is made of protein so it follows that eggs strengthen the hair follicle. Eggs contain sulphur which promotes healthy hair. Eggs smoothen the hair, making it less prone to tangling and therefore easier to comb.

Seperate the yolks from the white. You want to use the yolks only if not you will be picking out egg from your hair all week.

I told you I went over the top with this deep conditioner mix…I spied these bananas in the kitchen and threw them in.

I added some banana at the last minute. Just because I already had it.

Bananas are rich in potassium and vitamins (among other things).  They help to protect hair elasticity  which keeps breakage and split ends at bay. They also strengthen hair at the roots. Bananas impart shine and softness to hair. They even help to control dandruff.

I mashed the bananas and put them into the glass bowl with the eggs. I also added half the tin of coconut milk. I usually do not use things from a tin but I quite like this TRS coconut milk. I bought this from the indian store in Iponri. The ones in Ilupeju do not appear to stock it.

After whisking, it still looked lumpy so I put it all in my Vitamix and blended

Then I remembered that I had not added any Aloe Vera. We have several  Aloe Vera plants at home, so I went “harvest” some.

Aloe Vera gel is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti- viral. It is also anti-puritic which is great for relieving an itchy scalp. It balances the pH level of the hair and defines curl pattern in natural hair. It prevents excessive hair loss, acts as a moisturizer and leaves hair soft and shiny. With such powerful properties, it is definitely a player you want on your side.

Cut all the green bits off the Aloe Vera so that you are left with this “solid” piece. I threw this into the blender too.

I then added in a teaspoon each of the oils, half a teaspoon of glycerine and a heaping tablespoon of honey and stirred the mix for the final time.

My daughter presented herself for her conditioning treatment:

Coated her entire hair (and scalp) with our DC mix

Sealed it in with a cap.

We love pink!

And then it was off to bed. The following morning, we rinsed off the DC and the result was soft, curly, manageable hair.

I have not done justice to the benefits any of the ingredients used here. Please Google them individually to get a better picture of their benefits. You can come up with your own DC mix depending on what is locally available. After some time, you will come to realize what ingredients your hair responds to and you can then stick to those ones.

Comments

• April 7, 2011

…..I will be trying this tonigt!

• April 7, 2011

…..I will be trying this tonight!

• April 7, 2011

Interesting. I will love to try your DC mix. My current DC made of eggs and a conditioner now feels old and boring.

• April 7, 2011

another perfect and enlightening post…..will be trying this as soon as I have some time (which may take a while lol)
    The vegetable glycerine – what’s it called exactly? just that? I always see it on the list of ingredients on my natural products..

• February 13, 2012

princess inameti

yes too much n too often use of glycerin dries out the hair so try to use a bit.

• April 8, 2011

Really? It works? Talk about natural products lol

• April 8, 2011

I am trying to use some natural stuff now so i will definitely try this. Can you give me some natural mix to combat pimples and spots? I have an oily skin. Thanks.

• April 8, 2011

Hmm! Nice! But I was wondering how long the conditioner can stay for– if I make it today, will it be any good in three to four days? Those ingredients sound yummy 🙂

• June 21, 2011

Gidi boy

Your site is a God send.
    I am a guy and i love keeping afro hair but i have had to always chop my hair off cos i have been having maintenance issues, i consulted the internet last month and i have seen loads of information about natural treatments but since the informations i get are from ppl from other continents i have been left feeling helpless with knowledge i cant use, but Thank God i stumbled upon your site now maybe you can gimme locations where i can find most of these ingredients.
    Where can vegetable glycerin be found in 9ja?
    Thanks for the informations i have found here and i am grateful for other info’s i will get from you.

• October 10, 2011

Esthermaria

You could also try shops that specialize in selling of cake and baking products for a food grade variety of glycerine rather than the those found in cosmetic shops. The only thing am not sure of is whether or not its vegetable or animal based, but its quite cheap…between =N=100 and =N=200 depending on the size of the bottle.

• June 23, 2011

Great recipe! I have a similar recipe already: honey + whole egg + glycerin + coconut oil + olive oil. I’ve been thinking about adding bananas to it, though, because we grow cooking bananas (a banana-plantain hybrid) in our yard, but they aren’t ripe yet…or my staff are eating them all before they make it to the kitchen… Anyhoodle, I need to thicken my mix because my above DC is very drippy, so I’ll be marching into that yard this weekend to gets some! Thank you for reminding me 🙂

I use the whole egg and it hasn’t caused issues yet, probably because I don’t leave it in overnight, which means my big head doesn’t have enough time to cook the eggs. I leave in the mix for 1-2 hours and it works. Soft and manageable hair. Used to leave store-bought conditioner in overnight (or for 2 days sometimes), but I’m leery of leaving food in my hair for too long in this our tropical paradise–don’t wanna wake up to *clears throat* my phobias having my hair for breakfast 🙂

• June 28, 2011

Yeah ….come the home remedies coming gurl, knock it out of the park.

• June 30, 2011

Was there any ingredient here you couldn’t get in Nigeria?? Thanks for your answer.

• July 4, 2011

i saw Glycerin at ikeja but it didnt say “vegetable” it said “original”, i want to try and make the coconut milk and oil myself its a lot of work but it seems fun.Thanks for the reply.

• July 9, 2011

when you make something for yourself successfully u have a sort of “joie de vire” feeling, i just started reading your blog and i saw u write somewhere that you make your own black soap, please i would love a future post on the procedure.

• August 25, 2011

Emme

Nice!! It’s great to find a fellow mixologist – I love making DCs at home too. I often do a version of the one you described here, but with avocado instead of banana, and I leave out the vegetable glycerine and go a little bit crazy with the oils ;-). (For people who can’t find the vegetable glycerine, I think they can do without it and maybe up the honey quotient a bit, since honey has humectant properties as well.) Like another commenter mentioned, I use the whole egg but I don’t leave it in my hair overnight.
    The mixture I use (avocado + egg + honey + oils + aloe vera) leaves my hair amazingly nourished and soft, and even enhances my curl pattern… everytime I do it, the lady that cornrows my hair comments on how soft and curly my hair is – she says ‘it looks like human hair extensions’, which makes me laugh. I will have to try it with banana sometime – it sounds like it would give great results.
    Like you, I use homegrown aloe vera plants – I love using ‘products’ from my garden instead of expensive store-bought stuff… and I find that it always works better. I use homegrown aloe vera to make my leave-in conditioner too.
    About the Indian store – is it in Iponri Shopping Centre? I’m also interested in knowing where the ones in Ilupeju are if you wouldn’t mind giving a description – I would love to check them out. Thanks very much.

• August 26, 2011

Emme

Thank you so much!

• August 25, 2011

where are the before and after pix?

• January 3, 2012

dreadie

Hi…I absolutely love what you are doing…came across your blog last month from o’naturals and I’ve not had enugh of it….what a pity though,became natural in 2008 but cos I didn’t know how to manage it I decided to do dreads,wish I knew about all these before.The saddest of all is I just texturised my daughter’s hair in August,she’s 6 years old although I planed to wait till she was like 10 but she was always crying(she’s been natural all her life).don’t plan to re do her under growth so plssss what can I do?wish I knew about these(sobs)..I’ve been doing her hair since birth cos pple just dontknow how to manage her hair,she was always crying.And pls how do I manage my dreads too,been taking care of it all by myself but don’t mind some tipsm

• January 5, 2012

dreadie

Hi….thanks so much for replying :)…..funny enough she still cries,I don’t look forward to loosening,washing and making hair days!

• February 13, 2012

princess inameti

you know as a child i was the only one that had to go to the salon to make my hair bcs i always cried and they taught it was bcs of my hard natural hair but even as an adult it was also so painful having to get my hair done, in uni i was always the girl with unkempt hair bcs i hated having it done, so mayb ur daughter is like me. when i told my mama i was going natural she actually cried and begged me to remember how tough my hair is. lol. so mayb me n ur daughter has similar properties.

• January 5, 2012

dreadie

And I think she’s one of those kids that just don’t like their hair being touched cos u should see the way I handle her hair.

• January 5, 2012

dreadie

I normally use a wide-mouthed comb but when she starts crying I use the small wooden comb which doesn’t do much combing but I still use it anyway.I just found out it wasn’t her afro hair that makes her cry after I texturized it:(

• January 5, 2012

dreadie

I don’t really use anything….her hair was really fine when she was younger but got coarser as she grow older but still not as coarse as her friends….I just wash with johnson’s baby detangling shampoo with conditioner and air dry(her hair dries up pretty fast though long) and use her hair cream -allways indian hemp creme….I wash her hair twice monthly

• January 5, 2012

dreadie

I think I’ll do her special DVD,I normally let her watch cartoons while trying to do her hair cos she loves watching but still doesn’t really work so her fav movie should;thanks.

I wash her hair all at once but will start washing in sections now and as per the spray bottle,she would love it!…cos its all ‘hers’….kids!!!

Thank you for taking the time to help

• January 27, 2012

wow..will try this on my daughetr hair this weekend.

• February 13, 2012

princess inameti

yelp i have yoruba bananas in my hair right now. Lord help me.

• September 12, 2017

Hrh esther

After I’ve already used the Yoruba banana finish.. 😂.. I had crazy residue in my hair.. I was scared I thought I had done something wrong.. turns out the “yoruba banana” was a wrong choice..for the deep conditioner I used, coconut oil, olive oil, Shea butter and the almighty Yoruba banana.its my first DC.well I’m transitioning from permed hair to all natural.. It’s been 6 months now.. I’m so excited. Had a lot of perm and heat damage…split ends and almost everything that could be wrong with hair. I’ve been trimming the ends after I take out braids or weaves.. About the DC thing.. I read that it’s kinda bad to leave in natural deep conditioner all through the night. How valid is it

• March 14, 2012

Nwando Isabella Mbalaso

Hmmmmm!!! I love love this post! I’ll go get my ingredients ASAP!
    Well done babes!

• March 18, 2012

lydia

Thanks very much 4 this site u did a great job.pls i want 2 know if i can use any glycerin nd also what is the meaning of Evoo.thanks

• April 19, 2012

jane

i use coconut oil, egg, mayonnaise, castor oil, evoo, condenced milk,honey and avacado(opt) sometimes the consistency is watery and it drips i sleep and wash in the morning it works. its good to use things around u and it is economical thanks

• July 6, 2012

dan

hi all,dis is interestin bt whre can i find vegetable glycerine in nigeria?

• July 7, 2012

dan

ok,i stay in makurdi,benue state…is it posible to snd to me if i buy?

• October 14, 2012

hey can this be used on relaxed hair? if so what should i included and what should be left out from the ingredients that you have shown in this post.

• October 14, 2012

hi does this DC also goes for relaxed hair?

• November 19, 2012

Chinelo

I love your site.u said something about doing your own body lotion and body butter,could u pls help us with d recipes and the procedures.I have a fair skin.thanks

• March 21, 2013

Jossy

Hello NN!

I have thin soft hair. What DC treatment can I use to make my hair fuller and thicker?

Thanks!

• June 4, 2013

iyunade

Incredible! I think your daughter hair should have reach her waist by now.

• July 13, 2013

Nice post!!!, I too love to mix up my own deep conditioning ingredients, i have been thinking about adding banana’s to my mix cant wait to try it.

• September 19, 2013

Whats a good substitute for vegetable glycerin?

• November 28, 2013

Yunus. M

Umm Am Sorry Cos I Know That Pink Lips Is Not The Issue But I’ve Heard That Glycerin Can Be Used To Get Pink Lips. Pls Can You Confirm That Pleasseee?? ;(. And what type of glycerin? Plsss?

• November 20, 2014

lami

Pls pals I staRted my transitiong last 3mnt but due to lack of maintainance it got damaged(sad).what are the home made mixture I can aPply to gain my hair back.thanX

• August 8, 2015

adejoke

Is there a protein substitute for egg. I hate the smell

• July 26, 2016

tesola

You can prepare a little gelatin & add to the mixture

• January 10, 2016

Ose

Can I add avocado to the concoction?

• July 26, 2016

tesola

Yes you can…

• January 16, 2016

Harty06

NN God bless u rilly gud, ur submission is always encompassing.

• March 9, 2016

eve

thanks so much for this great tip, am on natural hair,my hair is so
    Strong I guess is a 4c hair type, and it breaks doesn’t look like is growing… what do I do?

• May 19, 2016

mary

pls is goya same as EVOO??

• January 16, 2017

Sharon Austin-Itua

Ma, do you sell this? If yes. How can I get it?

• April 11, 2017

Thanks, love the post

• April 19, 2017

Loveth Nkemuakolam

I love your write up ma..bt what can i use to wash it off.

• September 29, 2019

Obiamaka

This recipe is so good! I skipped the Oils as I am on a no oil regime for my scalp and used honey instead of glycerin. My hair was amazingly soft and shiny. Will definitely use this for a long long time. Thanks Natural Nigerian.