No products in the cart.

Massive thanks to everyone that made it to the meet up. Also to those that could not attend because they were not in Lagos, but still sent me mails to say “Hope it goes well”. You guys know how to touch a girl’s heart *sniff*

One of the requests I got for this meet up was to do a post complete with photos and maybe videos so that those that were not able to attend would get a chance to see what we got up to. I probably will not be able to do it all in one post so let us call this Post of 1 of (undetermined)

Life House (our venue), lived up to expectation and its owner, Ugoma Adegoke had to one of the easiest people to work with. She was beyond helpful – supplying us equipment that we needed but hadn’t thought of asking for and even helping to publicize the event.

We started fixing up the room we were assigned just before 1300hrs. As a proactive measure, we had rented some chairs rather than relying on what the Lifehouse had available. That turned out to be a really wise decision as we had quite a gathering of people who would literally have had to stand or sit on the floor.  We had a bit of spillage with people standing in the Hallway.

We began late due to last minute hiccups. Our sincere apologies to all of those who came on time and had to wait for us to begin. However, it was really heart warming to see the level of socializing that went on there. Ladies that had never met were getting along like old friends. Amazing what having a common interest can forge.

We had some setbacks: Ifeoma Williams (the image stylist) was unable to make it. Also, Madam Shea Butter (who was supposed to be a vendor) was ill the week leading to the event and was still in ill on the day of the event (here’s hoping that she feels better).

There were 4 presenters:  Screwy Hair Girl, Natural Mane, Sherese Ijewere (nutritionist) et moi. Screwy Hair Girl spoke about finding things in Lagos as well as being a Kitchen beautician, Sherese spoke about getting fabulous from within. Natural Mane gave a rather feisty presentation on loving your hair and caring for locs. She ended by styling a volunteer’s hair. I spoke about Hair – the science aspect of it.

For an event that was conceptualized, planned and executed in the space of a few weeks, I certainly feel that it was well attended (thank you all again) and that most of it worked quite well. At the heart of it was the amazing team that we formed – Screwy Hair Girl, Sherese Ijewere and Nat. Mane are just awesome to work with.

Here are a few pictures. Internet access willing, I will post a few more soon.

This is what we started with. However this was very different from what we ended up with

We registered guests at the door and handed them name tags. It set the tone for a relaxed atmosphere as we could address one another by name.

Registering...

African Naturalista

Mingling before the event began

Writing on the hair wall (all the way down the room on the left)

Yep, it was pretty informal. And there were guys there too. Some were supporting their ladies and I saw one who looked like he was there for himself

Screwy Hair Girl talking about being a Kitchen beautician

The lovely Omozo from O’naturals has been kind enough to share a few more pictures here.

I have a few more things to share so there will be a Part 2.

Update: Part 2 is here.

Comments

• November 22, 2011

wow..see what i missed.
    it’s good to see that a lot of ladies are saying no to the creamy crack and learning to care for their natural hair
    waiting for part 2 🙂 much love NN

• November 22, 2011

Aloted

Wow! Well done all of you. Look forward to seeing more photos.

• November 22, 2011

I’m so glad it went well! Look forward to Pt 2. Hope I can attend the next one!!!

• November 23, 2011

It was excellent! Well done ladies. @All: Try to attend the next one o! LOL http://www.onaturals.blogspot.com

• November 23, 2011

am sad i missed was so looking forward to it until malaria attacked me.thank God it all went well.pray the next meet up is soon and i can make it.

• November 24, 2011

Tokunbo

Twas a GREAT event (and not just saying that cos my baby picked my number for the raffle prize 🙂

Well done ladies for organising the beginning of the hair revolution to Lasgidi! Enjoyed learning and re-learning the need to take care of my hair! I’m revergernised (is dat even a word?!) To restart my hair kitchen with my new supplies of oils n shea butter!

Looking forward to next one already!

• November 24, 2011

This is such a good idea- this event!

• November 25, 2011

nelly

Thank God it went well.I missed you ladies i was ill i could not make it to the event.

• November 25, 2011

jovi

Hi Natural Nigerian..can i have your email add?..have some questions on my hair just figured it was better to drop a line..thanks

• November 26, 2011

You guys did really well, nice pictures too.

• November 26, 2011

sahara

I had such fun. Thank you NN,Screwy haured girl and Natmane. Already looking forward to the next one. Thanks

• December 7, 2011

Nice meeting you too!! 🙂 Hope to see you at the next one too.

• November 28, 2011

Photos are nice. I can see you ladies had fun. But wait o….I’m seriously considering going natural too. Any advice you’d like to share?

• December 13, 2011

What are you waiting for Ms. Daniels? Go online and read all the natural blogs and UTube you can come across for inspiration and then JUST DO IT.

I am with you all the way in love.
      lol

• November 30, 2011

Hmmmmmmm, wish i was there, looks interesting.

• December 9, 2011

These photos are lovely! I’d love to feature them on Black Girl with Long Hair! Please email me at blackgirllonghair@gmail.com to let me know 🙂

Leila

• December 9, 2011

Congratulations! The photos are lovely and it looked really well organised and that people had fun. I have been inspired to organise one in Lusaka. It’s been in the works for some time, but now I think it has to happen soon. Thanks

• December 9, 2011

Wow…why am i just seeing this..both the blog and the meetup? I am glad that Nigeria has engaged naturalistas. I am adding you to my bloglist. I am not in Nigeria, but I swear If I was…I would have jumped the next bus there. lol
    Congratulations and please give it going and growing.