No products in the cart.

I had mentioned on facebook that I was going to introduce Palm Kernel Oil and Cocoa Butter for sale and someone asked me what the difference between Palm Oil and Palm Kernel Oil (PKO) was.  I gave her a short answer, but would like to post a longer one here. By the way, PKO is also known as mmanu aki in Igbo. I don’t know the name in any other Nigerian language. If you do, please leave it in the comment section.

Update: Thanks to the readers that contributed names of PKO in their local language.

Yoruba: Adin Ekuro

Efik: Mmayanya (sp?)

The palm fruit that we all know and love looks like this:

When extracting palm oil at home for preparing Banga soup, the palm fruit is boiled and the orangey-red palm oil extracted from the soft fleshy part (also known as the Mesocarp). This is about the same method used in preparing palm oil commercially. (I should know, my maternal grandmother had a local commercial palm oil press 🙂 ).

Palm Oil is used for cooking, soap making and food manufacturing. Let me spend a minute on the food manufacturing – Refined (bleached) palm oil is used in Baked goods, Instant noodles, Baby formula, Cake mixes, Breakfast bars, Potato chips, Crackers and other snacks. Vegetable Glycerin which we love so much for our hair and skin also sometimes comes from Palm Oil.

Once the oil from the Mesocarp is extracted, we are left with a black hard kernel. As children we would take these kernels to a set of stones set up for the purpose of kernel cracking. You place the kernel on a stone, hit it with a smaller stone and Voila! you reveal the nut inside. They look like this:

As children, we would eat these on its own or with roasted breadfruit (aki na ukwa). Gosh, I loved my childhood! My dad used to take these nuts to school as a snack when he was in Primary school.

It is from these kernels that one gets Palm Kernel Oil. It is not an viscous, orangey-red oil like Palm Oil is. Rather it is a dark-ish, nutty smelling oil.

The women of my village use Palm Kernel Oil for their hair, skin and also in making soap. Palm Kernel Oil is used commercially by a lot of soap makers and cosmetic manufacturers.

I will do a post soon on the benefits of Palm Kernel Oil.

To finish, here is an excellent video by Akua Wood (one of my favourite people on the web) of Sheabutter cottage on which of the two oils to use for hair/skin. Which Palm for hair? (Please click on the link as I find it difficult to insert videos…)

Reference:

Uses: American Palm Oil

Comments

• February 26, 2012

Thanks for the brief education.
    I worked with a client that manufactures soap, I kept smelling the nutty oil and felt it was coconut oil. They told me it was PKO. This article now sheds more light on why it smelt nutty

• February 26, 2012

Sheyi

Hiya, i was just wondering if you will be able to post the palm oil and cocoa butter to the UK? And if you will also be doing Shea butter? Thx!

• February 27, 2012

Judy

You are right NN. At times the postage cost either is the price of the product or exceeds. Great article 🙂

• February 28, 2012

Sheyi

Thank you. Will definitely check her out. :]

• February 27, 2012

Ewaoju

Yea dis article is vry educatv tanks. Here is what d yorubas cal it, ADIAGBON. Dnt bite ur tongue. Lol

• July 25, 2017

Wale

Adiagbon is Coconut Oil
      Adi Ekuro is PKO

• February 27, 2012

Thanks NN! It’s a very informative article!

• February 27, 2012

princess inameti

thanks for the info in the Efiks call it mmayanya, hope i got the spelling right.

• February 28, 2012

princess inameti

ur welcome

• February 27, 2012

Blessing Adedokun

I Am surprised @ all these yoruba translators but PKO is adin ekuro,not adinagbon which is coconut oil.(oil is adin in yoruba,and palm kernel is ekuro while coconut is agbon)coconut oil is more comonly found among yorubas than PKO.bcos pko is more stressful to make and takes in much kernels to produce little when compared wt coconut oil.Moreso,many people dont know how useful pko is,thanks to Natural nigerian….i must add dt posting ds responce was not easy,dnt mind if u culd something to that

• February 27, 2012

Yes, Adin Agbon is Coconut oil, and adin ekuro is palm oil. I can’t believe an oil as white as glycerin can come from Palm Oil! I enjoyed eating palm kernel fruits as a child. Hmmm YUM!

• February 28, 2012

ah just reading this comment..this is the right answer. palm kernel is ekuro

🙂

• February 27, 2012

Natural Girl

Chei, you have brought back memories of eating aki in the Village. Looking forward to adding this oil to my Oil Arsenal..

• February 28, 2012

thanks for this!

hmm someone mentioned to me once that adiagbon was coconut oil… hmmmm
    guess they were wrong.

• February 28, 2012

I just checked again o they said it is definitely coconut oil that is adiagbon.

confused.com

• February 28, 2012

ta!

I am always loyal and learning!

• March 5, 2012

Nat

“you shouldn’t use Palm Oil on your hair. The oil to use is Palm Kernel Oil” ? I’m not so sure about that o…Minasek has great hair and she uses palmoil on her hair (for deep conditioning).

• March 7, 2012

Nat

That makes sense…thanks for clarifying:)

• March 10, 2012

Love

This is awesome! Weldone.

• March 23, 2012

i remember palm kernel oil being called ulaku in igbo language

• April 8, 2012

Love the article but as with many of the natural products you talk about on your blog, I am absolutely clueless as to where to buy PKO in Lagos. Is it in the market? Which market if so? Pls help I’d love to join the natural product band wagon 🙂

• April 9, 2012

princess inameti

natural nigerian stocks most of the products we talk about here.

• June 13, 2012

nkyiyke

Good Job Natural Nigerian. Love your write up. You kept talking about the contents,significance and the importance of PKO, Coconut oil and all but nothing was said about the preparation of any.

I would like to know how one can extract these oils locally as in from my own very kitchen or maybe as a guy…..you don’t know?

I have been trying to get these information from the internet but i am not getting the real thing.

Would be glad if you can give me detailed information as you did above.
    Thanks

• July 25, 2012

Good one. Thanks for d write up. I will like to know if it is possible to produce palm kernel oil in my kitchen. And is there also a difference between bleached palm oil and normal Palm kernel oil as used in soap production?

• October 10, 2012

Kanife

I love it

• October 18, 2012

judith

Pls what is the igbo or ika name of raw cocoa butter? Thanks

• November 6, 2012

Mne

Morning. I need ACV 32oz, hemp seed oil, castor oil(homehealth or heritage-perfect) I saw the prices at the Ahia. Lagos delivery rate is 500. For 3 items 1500, if I read right. I also wonder if the prices at the Ahia are the current.I have a relation in Lagos, who can take delivery for me.

• November 6, 2012

Mne

Oh! happy, happy, happy

• November 21, 2012

obylicious

I was really educated on the page.in my village we used to call PKO ude aki in ibo language.

• February 1, 2013

nelly

Thanks for bringing the natural products to lime light ,NN you are doing a good job.may God bless you.

• May 1, 2013

Can you Tell Me Oil Content
    minimum % & maximum%
    palm oil Vs palm kernel oil content / oil %

• October 18, 2013

Stephenie

thanks for the teaching on difference btw PO and PKO. apart from hair, ARE there any other uses of palm kernel oil extract. How can the oil be extracted from the seed.?

• March 15, 2014
  • March 31, 2014

meg

l make palm kernel oil at home. It has various health benefits like easing of chest pain,general body massage ,smoothening of skin,etc.

• May 9, 2014

Abidoye Wale

Thank you, it was a eye-opener for some of us that was born in the city.

• May 21, 2014

Han

Palm kernel oil is called ‘adin dudu’ in yoruba (my area).

• February 6, 2017

Augustina

U ar correct. It is Adi did in Yoruba. Adi agbon is coconut oil which is different from Palm kernel oil.

• September 30, 2014

chidinma

Nice one, but having be thinking can’t d palm kennel oil be refined to cooking oil

• February 16, 2015

sekeenah

Good job!keep it up

• February 20, 2015

Bebe

Hi NN, I’m a fan and I just got delivery of my Neem oil and other products! I’m kinda surprised you said not to use red palm oil on the hair because I do use it. I read about the hair benefits online and decided to try it out. I must confess it leaves my hair very soft and I noticed growth. I actually use it to deep-condition and then wash off with dudu-osun soap.

• March 29, 2015

favour

dis is awesome..bt i nid more

• June 22, 2015

Nel

Really insightful article. I’m on a journey of discovery of palm kernel oil, how it can be used as a hair and skin care product. I know that shea butter affects variuos skin types in the sense of making some one fair darker or someone who is dark darker than their normal shade or probably not affecting one’s shade at all, so I’m just wondering if palm kernel oil those the same because I know using coconut oil it doesn’t affect one’s ones skin shade. So what’s your info on this? Just like Chidinma I’ve also been thinking of the possibility of using it to cook like make stew or something after all people use olive oil, cotton seed oil and all sorts of all.

• October 28, 2015

Hello house!!! Kudos to everyone that has contributed in one way or the other. Please, I will like to understand the Yoruba translation of Palm Kernel Cake (PKC) and Dried Kola Testa (DKT). Thanx

• November 6, 2015

Serena

Hello NN,

Do you know where in Lagos one may find PKO, or the seeds? In fact where in Nigeria May one find PKO.

Regards

• April 19, 2017

Wilson

PKO is called ori ibi in Urhobo

• March 13, 2016

adedoyin

Hi guys…. Been doing a lot of research on the native names for these oils. Coconut oil – Adin Agbon
    Palm kernel oil – Adin Eyan
    Black palm kernel oil – Adi Dudu
    Palm oil – Epo Pupa still on research for castor oil.

• August 10, 2016

Deborah

Castor Oil is known as Adin ilara/ ilarum/ iru
      Check on this Facebook page: CPHA Nigeria- You and Your health. Cheers

• March 26, 2016

davis

pls do u know any local factory where I can buy pko ,,place that are close to ikotun,,, pls drop up reply in my box. Thks

• March 31, 2016

funmi ogboli

Thanks for the info, palm kennel oil is called Adin dudu in Yoruba. I Heard it can be used to bring down high temperature, don’t know how true that is.can anyone confirm? Thanks.

• February 6, 2017

Augustina

U ar correct. It is Adi dudu in Yoruba. Adi agbon is coconut oil which is different from Palm kernel oil.

• April 9, 2016

thx aloz foh brief xplanetn on palm oil n palm kernel oil.

• June 23, 2016

Summade

Yes, my mom mixes it with kerosene as a first-aid to bring down temperature. Pls where can we get the oils in Lagos? Thanks!

• August 10, 2016

Deborah

Castor Oil is known as Adin ilara/ ilarum/iru. Check on this Facebook page: CPHA Nigeria: You and Your health

• March 18, 2017

maimuna

Alayyadi pko I think is the most wonderful natural oil. it work wonder to our african natural hair.

• April 17, 2017

onome Okah-Avae

Can you use banga oil for your hair?

• April 26, 2017

Love

Please do you know how I can get pure castor oil?

• June 14, 2017

Abubakar Jabbo Mohammes

Palm kernel in hausa means kwakwar manja

• August 25, 2017

Ada creative

Thanks for this post dear, in ekpeye dailect of Rivers state is called OGA-OKUTA

• September 7, 2017

Thanks so much for the article, it has further informed my zeal and inspiration for my dream in agro business. The kernel oil is called in TIV language as AKWESHI

• October 13, 2017

Adiagbon is coconut oil d clear one
    Adi ekuro is palm kernel oil d brown one
    Epo pupa is palm oil d red oil popular for cooking, f one for cooking beans…..simple explanation

• March 23, 2018

Bummie

This is very educative, you have done a wonderful job. I what to learn abt how to produce the palm kernel oil. How do go about it. Help

• May 26, 2018

Mohammed

Very educative, the Hausa name is Man alayyadi., which is different from man ja ( palm oil), and man kwakwa which is coconut oil

• April 2, 2019

Teresa

It would be helpful to know the relative cholesterol and saturated fat levels in the two palm oils.

• April 4, 2019