No products in the cart.

image4064

L-R: 70% Lindt Chocolate, Eggs, Salted Butter, Empty Jars, Bones, Frozen Vegetables.

Since embarking on a natural and healthier lifestyle, I have found that several habits have changed. An important one is how I shop. The most dramatic change would have to be that my shopping trolley is a lot emptier when I shop at the supermarket, and the happiest change is that I spend less making myself ill.

Hardly any biscuits, candies, artificial juice and other non-natural things find their way to my basket. I say hardly because, let us be real, from time to time I will sneak it some things. However, even the things that are snuck in are inherently healthier than they would have been before. An example is chocolate. I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought a Twix or Bounty Bar.

I would rather buy a Lindt excellence bar that is at least 70% dark chocolate. As a matter of fact, I picked these up because my daughter asked for them. I know that most children prefer sweeter chocolate bars, but my daughter has learned to love these ones.

Bones are very important to me. I buy them and boil them for stock. The stock is a base for most of my cooking and helps me achieve tasty meals. At less than N200 a bag, that is a steal. There are also many benefits of using bone marrow stock from cellulite reduction to an all round healthier body.  I may have to get to it in another post.

I buy frozen veggies as they allow me an easy way to instantly upgrade a meal. I put it in everything. Noodles, rice, pasta, beans. If I can boil it, I can vegetalize it (yes, I just made up a word). Frozen vegetables are purportedly about as nutrient rich as fresh vegetables so I always make sure that there is a bag in the freezer.

Now, butter. Hmmm. I do not like eating bread. Even more so since I have just found out that it blocks my pipes (if you know what I mean). However, I have a weakness for butter. So I eat bread to get my butter fix. I only allow myself this 200g pack every other month or so – that is the equivalent of about 12 slices of bread as I pack it on thick. Yes, my weakness.

The glass jars are there because I constantly need containers for my various DIY hobbies. The bigger glass jar now holds moisturizing leave in conditioner for my daughter and I.

So that is it. Please share what you buy with me.

Comments

• November 25, 2013

I definitely shop less in supermarkets now. I prefer local markets and shops. A few instagram pics of my grocery hauls:

• November 25, 2013

My shopping list comprise of lots of garlic, ginger & Onions (I can’t cook without these), local chicken (get that from my nearest local market, can’t eat any other type), ofada rice, unripe plantains, pap (ogi or akamu), tomatoes/pepper, ice fish, roasted dry fish, palm oil and water/vegetable leaf. This are my must haves.

• November 25, 2013

Eyiyemi Olivia

Hmmmm bones eh? Thats a new one for me but willing to try. I can get @ any supermarket butchery? I leave on the mainland though so I am crossing fingers 😀

• November 26, 2013

Oma

Nice haul.

• November 26, 2013

grantsmom

pls natural nigeria. i want to place some orders on ur website but cant find my way around ur site

• November 27, 2013

Niki

I await your post on bone marrow for cooking stock. Like yourself I have found that since embraking on a more natural journey in terms of what I put into my body, I have been less ill, infact I haven’t been ill at all since making these dietry changes. My grocery haul now consists of plenty of fruit and vegetables (mainly fresh although I do allow frozen and also dried fruits), wholegrains such as oats for breakfast, teas such as green tea and Rooibos tea, eggs, nuts and seeds, fish and lean meats. Lindt Lindor is my all-time favourite chocolate but I detest dark chocolate, urgh (I tried eating raw cocoa nibs for a time but couldn’t get used to the bitter taste). If I’m going to eat chocolate it has to be milk chocolate but chocolate is an occasional treat for me.

• November 27, 2013

Niki

Oh and lest I forget I’ve recently started drinking Moringa Tea which has numerous health benefits.

• December 7, 2013

This moringa!!! hopefully I’ll try it one of these days

• December 2, 2013

Nice post, been going the fresh veggies route but they don’t last in the fridge, making me hardly interested in veggies lately might have to try the frozen veggies route!

• December 7, 2013

Nice haul, looks like my shopping basket without the bone marrow though, waiting on your bone marrow post looks like something I’m willing to try.

• December 9, 2013

Niki

Just out of curiosity is brown basmati rice easily available in Nigeria? In my pursuit of a healthier lifestyle I recently tried it and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve tried brown rice but didn’t like it but brown basmati rice is actually quite good and would like to introduce it to my dad who is diabetic

• July 6, 2014

Debby

Pls where can I get organic rooibos tea in Lagos or Abuja?What is the price range.Thanks in advance.

• February 26, 2015

Sade

peppermint tea..been hooked for about 10 years! Refreshing tea works wonders on a bloated stomach..My local has been out of stock for ages..I’m off to spar .need my fix jor.. Thanks for the post .. Ps I’m also with you on the contents of the supermarket trolley .. I especially steer clear of tinned foods.

• April 17, 2015

Dami

Hello please where did you get the glass jars from and also where can i get unsweetened almond milk(or a good substitute for it), quinoa and chai seeds. thank you

• April 17, 2015

Dami

Oh and i live on the mainland so mainland places would be better but anywhere is fine really as long as i can get what im looking for

• May 12, 2015

valerie

Hi, any idea where they sell quinoa in surulere?

• May 13, 2015

Soph

Hi

Please what store did you get the frozen vegetables from and can they be bought online?

• May 22, 2017

Osagie Philomena

Thanks for sharing. please I would like to know where I can get the Lindt Chocolate to buy. Thanks.

• July 11, 2017

Natural Foods

Hi,

You never did respond about where you got the jars. Can you please share? I know this is an old post, but they may still stock them and also share any other places you know that will have clear see-through jars/canisters. Thanks a lot for sharing.