No products in the cart.

Comments

• August 7, 2015

Hello NN,

Very informative, thank you.

Lol, my mum swears by that old wives’ tale about ants not swarming around original honey. I’ve tried unsuccessfully to make understand that honey is sweet and ants have a sweet tooth. In fairness to her, I have observed that the honey she purchases never ever attracts ants! 😀

Have a lovely weekend.

• August 9, 2015

Owk very informative but I live in kaduna and I have bought honey from different people but they all attract ants the last one I bought was worst it was fermented but the lady assured me that it is original but after using it and having to battle to keep ants away from my kitchen I am not impressed at all. And I was told that some people mix honey with sugar to increase the quantity…is it true?.I just want to no where to get high quality honey in kaduna. Thank you in advance

• August 14, 2015

Femi

Hello Maryam, try the Beekeeping Extension society in Zaria, they should be able to find something for you. Google them.

• August 10, 2015

Feyikemi

hi Femi, do you train apiarists or can you give a referral as to where to get trained. Thanks.

• August 15, 2015

Femi

Hello Feyikemi,

Are these beginners or people with some beekeeping experience? If they are beginners then we can put together the basics of beekeeping (both theory and practicals), this will be enough to get you started with your own hive. Let me know what you have in mind. But you refer to apiarist, so I am not quite sure the level of experience they have. Please clarify.

• August 11, 2015

IfeomaK

I served as a youth corp member in a remote Born village. I was privileged to eat honey in its raw unadulterated form. We bought from Fulani herds men coming from the bush/desert. They sold the honey still in honeycomb. I observed that sometimes they brought dark brown honey and a times very light yellow gold shade. When I asked why the colour variance, I was told the colour depends on what the bees fed on in their immediate surrounding. It made some sense in that the honey harvested from rocky desert places were the light shades while those from densely vegetative environs were dark in color.

• August 12, 2015

Femi

I would be careful with the conclusion you are drawing from your observation. While I agree that the vegetation (hence the nectar consumed) is responsible for the colour of the honey, I would not conclude that the terrain has much to do with it. I am in what I would term grassland/ semi Forrest and I harvest both light and dark honey. No rocks in sight!

• August 12, 2015

Femi

I would also like to know what the honey tasted like. Honey hunters are known for using fire to burn the hives or excessive smoking.g of the hives before harvesting. Some, not all!

• August 12, 2015

Grace

I love raw honey and enjoy chewing on the comb. However, I bought honey with honeycomb in it and it was not pure. They mixed the honey with sugar syrup, then put the comb back in so it would look legit. My parents have a hive at their house now, so I can get honey from them when it is harvested and even bee pollen too which is supposed to be really good for you!

• August 12, 2015

Femi

Sometimes, the beekeeper feeds the bees during the dearth period when there is no food. E.g. during the rains. The bees convert this into food that will carry them through this period. Sometimes, there is some of that “honey” leftover. I am not giving this as a reason for adulterated honey!Ibut it does happen. I take chances with my bees antryry not to feed them, this results in migratory swarming. Itmeans we lose our colonies and have to build them up from scratch sometime between August and October. Not efficient I know …

• August 13, 2015

Doofan

Very informative piece. Please where can your honey be found? I live in lagos.

• August 15, 2015

Femi

Hello Doofan, thank you. We have a pick up point in Magodo Isheri.

• August 13, 2015

Ariella Fitness

very informative piece. please where can your honey be found. We are in lagos

• August 13, 2015

Funmi

hi Femi, I would like to know if your honey is available in Lagos. I trust NN for quality and I’m sure we can trust you too. This issue of getting authentic honey is a big one. I resort to buying imported sometimes but wouldn’t mind buying local if it can be trusted.

• August 15, 2015

Femi

Hello Funmi & Ariella. We have a pick up point in Magodo Isheri and we can probably deliver as well. Please bear in mind that the apiary is in Iwo, Osun state.

I understand your concern with the availability of authentic honey.

I would like to point out that honey is a seasonal crop. Think of mangoes, you are unlikely to find really good quality mangoes outside the season, this goes for honey as well. In the Southwest, honey flows (period when there is an abundance of nectar being secreted by flowers in bloom) between late October to somewhere before the onset of the rains, typically late April. early May. Most responsible beekeepers in the Southwest would not go past this as they have to leave some honey in the combs for the bees to feed on during the rainy season. I like the fresh late Dec honey/ early Jan, just after the harmattan.

• August 16, 2015

Fola

pls, can I have a contact address or a phone number for the pick up point at Magodo? thank you. great work!

• August 16, 2015

Femi

Hello Fola,

Please send your enquiry to honeybees@earthlyproducelimited.com.

regards,
      Femi

• January 25, 2016

Abiola

Hello Femi

Thank you for the information. This is the first time I am hearing or reading the truth about honey. I would love to swap sugar with honey and I will definitely tell the health freaks at my place of work. Thank you so much.

• August 17, 2015

Oluwanifesimi

I bought honey from Earthly Produce a couple of months ago and I was impressed with the product and with their customer service. My mum who is highly critical of local honey was also impressed. Keep up the good work.

• September 3, 2015

Gloria

Nice. Would you deliver outside of Lagos? I live in Akwa Ibom

• September 5, 2015

Toroko

Hi Femi,
    Thanks for sharing. how easy is it to have a personal bee hive? Just for family consumption.
    And can you deliver to Port Harcourt?
    Cheers:
    T

• September 9, 2015

Femi

Hello Gloria & Toroko,

Yes we do deliver outside of Lagos. Please send your request to honeybees@earthlyproducelimited.com.

Toroko, having a personal beehive is possible. It however depends on a few things.
      1. Since it is for personal use you will probably want it close by. So how close can you have it considering that you may probably live in a residential area. You have to visit quite often.
      2. If it is in a residential area, you need to consider the type of vegetation in the area, are there lots of flowering plants that can provide nectar, pollen and water that the bees need to survive. I had a hive in my compound in Old Bodija, Ibadan which still has a lot of trees and is close to the secretariat (which had a number of fruit trees) and Agodi gardens so there is a lot of forage material within a 3km radius which should suffice for a colony of bees.
      3. If it is a residential area then you need to consider the temperament of bees in our part of the world. They can be a bit defensive especially when the combs are full of honey, they go into defensive mode at the slightest disturbance. So watch out for this. I had a small trap hive in the compound and never tried to harvest it
      4. If it is a residential area then you have to worry about the harvest. Naturally you would harvest late in the evening but you need to make sure all windows are shut since the bees would look for the nearest source of light and may decide to vent their displeasure there. And you hope that they would have settled by the morning and carried on with business as usual. Never harvest in the daytime., unless you want to REALLY PISS OFF your neighbours and passersby!
      5. If none of these conditions apply to you then it is a wonderful idea. A note of caution, word gets around quickly that you have your own source of “honey on tap”, DO NOT EXPECT TO ENJOY IT ALONE! Very soon you will go from one to two hives and before you know it, you have an apiary!!! Pure Honey is highly addictive, your family would settle for nothing less afterwards! All the best Toroko and thank you for the question.

• November 2, 2015

omowunmi

Mr femi. Am into skincare and Essence products and so I use honey a lot. Am from Ileogbo .Locating u wouldn’t be a problem, pls can u forward ur contact to 08091010854. We really need to talk more on this.

• March 5, 2017

hello Mr femi , am a civil servant, have interest in bees keeping training so that it can be taking personally as a business for me so am living at eleyele Ibadan, pls can u help me to find the place where I can be train in nearby

• April 10, 2017

KAJ Arolu Honey

Natural Nigerian You are really source of vital informations to many Nigerians. Good of You Mr Femi ( Earthy Produce Limited ) We are proud of You as a felow Beekeeper, keep it up. May Your Days Be Long And Blessed !

• June 13, 2017

Issa Habeeb

Hi Mr. Femi i am a young undergraduate of LAUTECH,Ogbomoso who is interested in beekeeping.. please i need info on a place where i can be trained